Notices

knocklink activity

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 10:09 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocklink activity

seems to be a real difference in actvity picked up between knocklink sensors. Mine does bugger all, once I got a second green...thats it. A friend with identical map and setup gets an occasional orange and red both cars run on optimax (04 wrx, tek3, decat). Reading posts (tesco 99ron for example) people record actvity of huge varying degrees (I appreciate different maps, cars fuel etc).

The question is in the first example is this difference due to manufacturing tolerences etc or the bloody sensor ( I'm guesing the sensor) thus making the knock link a very inacurate way of measuring pinking (if your sensor is like mine does it only register when the engine blows up and its too late )

Sorry for the ramble
Old 01 June 2005, 10:11 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you try your sensor on his car and vice-versa?
Old 01 June 2005, 11:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably in the map or the fuel, for a main stream car, the map is exactly the same, the manufactures tollerances are all similar, you may get more bhp out of one car and less torque than another, but the map and the parts are similar, but for a remap, its a more refined, if not "unique" to that car map, in which its been done to the conditions on that day, the driver, the modifications and possably fuel type.
If your friend is having problems, take the car back to the person(s) who remapped the car and say that he/she is getting alot of noise on the knocklink, sometimes it can be as simple as the sensor (which is basially a microphone) being slightly loose or it could be that the car may have been mapped on a hot summers day and on a cool day it exceeds its tollerances..... id get it checked out personally.

Tony