Notices

1999 RB5 with PPP - help

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 10:22 AM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 RB5 with PPP - help

Got the above, how can I tell if it does have the full prodrive kit? I can see a blue pipe/tube underneath the intercooler that says prodrive...its got Prodrive stickers on it...but is this a 245bhp car???

The reason I ask is because i've just spoken to the garage where i bought the car about a 'dawes' device and they say the prodrive model won't take the dawes and the car is already at peak performance...well without spending big money.

Oh and I was at the meet last night and serveral people were saying don't run it on unleaded use super ONLY. Would this be the reason I get the odd back fire when accelerating?...I thought i was just the magnex pipe. Will I of damaged anything by running it on unleaded only (filled it up 4 times since I bought the car 1 and half weeks ago)...hope not, i'm gunna run on SUPER only from now on.

Help plz....

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:41 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dave_RB5 #92
Got the above, how can I tell if it does have the full prodrive kit? I can see a blue pipe/tube underneath the intercooler that says prodrive...its got Prodrive stickers on it...but is this a 245bhp car???

The reason I ask is because i've just spoken to the garage where i bought the car about a 'dawes' device and they say the prodrive model won't take the dawes and the car is already at peak performance...well without spending big money.

Oh and I was at the meet last night and serveral people were saying don't run it on unleaded use super ONLY. Would this be the reason I get the odd back fire when accelerating?...I thought i was just the magnex pipe. Will I of damaged anything by running it on unleaded only (filled it up 4 times since I bought the car 1 and half weeks ago)...hope not, i'm gunna run on SUPER only from now on.

Help plz....

Cheers,
Dave.
It sounds like the PPP. You could always check with IM if you don't have the PPP fitment certificate.

If it is the PPP you should be running on SUL only. You won't get the best performance from regular unleaded, and the car may run a bit rough. You paid for a performance car, you need to give it the good stuff!

Don't put a Dawes on it! Some are going to say that I'm being too 'soft' on the car, but the bottom line is that cranking up the boost without making approrpriate fueling and ignition adjustments is a BAD idea. The dealer is right, the car is already in a higher state of tune and PPP means that the ECU has been reconfigured to account for the extra performance. The prev owner didn't take shortcuts (PPP cost about £1600) and neither should you.

Besides 245bhp on 1235 Kilo car is not exactly lacking. If you put some decent petrol in it, you'll notice an improvement quickly!

NS04
Old 27 May 2005, 10:45 AM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

I'll take your advise, thanks for the reply

Just one thing though....IM? who are they?

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It sounds like the PPP. You could always check with IM if you don't have the PPP fitment certificate.

If it is the PPP you should be running on SUL only. You won't get the best performance from regular unleaded, and the car may run a bit rough. You paid for a performance car, you need to give it the good stuff!

Don't put a Dawes on it! Some are going to say that I'm being too 'soft' on the car, but the bottom line is that cranking up the boost without making approrpriate fueling and ignition adjustments is a BAD idea. The dealer is right, the car is already in a higher state of tune and PPP means that the ECU has been reconfigured to account for the extra performance. The prev owner didn't take shortcuts (PPP cost about £1600) and neither should you.

Besides 245bhp on 1235 Kilo car is not exactly lacking. If you put some decent petrol in it, you'll notice an improvement quickly!

NS04
Old 27 May 2005, 12:45 PM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

Dave,

If you`ve got he PPP version (WRSport) and it was fitted by Subaru you should have a note on the inside of the petrol flap that states to ONLY use Super Unleaded i.e Optimax. Also another way to tell is if in the middle of your speedo does it say WRSport in grey lettering?

Also I`d echo NS4`s coment about the Dawes device, you`d need a boost gauge knocklink and AFR metre to be completely safe doing a mod like this. There are much more safe means of making the car go faster.

Get yourself over to http://www.rb5oc.com/ and get posting on the Forum where there`s heaps of fellow RB5 owners on.

Chris
RB5 WRSport
Old 27 May 2005, 01:36 PM
Dave_RB5 #92
Scooby Regular

yeah it does say use super and yes I do have WRSport on the rev dail. Nice one, cheers for the info!

Originally Posted by Blairc
Dave,

If you`ve got he PPP version (WRSport) and it was fitted by Subaru you should have a note on the inside of the petrol flap that states to ONLY use Super Unleaded i.e Optimax. Also another way to tell is if in the middle of your speedo does it say WRSport in grey lettering?

Also I`d echo NS4`s coment about the Dawes device, you`d need a boost gauge knocklink and AFR metre to be completely safe doing a mod like this. There are much more safe means of making the car go faster.

Get yourself over to http://www.rb5oc.com/ and get posting on the Forum where there`s heaps of fellow RB5 owners on.

Chris
RB5 WRSport