Notices

Miltek Exhaust - Re-map??

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2005, 05:34 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Miltek Exhaust - Re-map??

Speaking to the Miltek exhaust salespeople at Japfest. We were discussing the full system from Turbo back which comes with a replacement metal catalyst to keep the emissions on line. He stated an increase in the region of 35hp and no need to remap. Couple of questions I wouldn't mind some feedback no;
  • Does the increase sound realistic - are the bugeye variants that strangled?
  • With that improvement in breathing I imagine it has to be matched by a requsite increase in fueling - can the standard ECU cope?
  • Would a remap really just improve the whole delivery etc as opposed to being essential?
If any one has this system fitted on a bugeye would appreciate your feedback on quality, noise etc.

Cheers to all in advance, Kevin
Old 22 May 2005, 09:10 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Hi m8...I fitted the complete system to an STi Type UK 02 model car (265ps).....It certainly felt much quicker after fitting.
I took it to Power Engineering, where they said it was over-boosting to 1.65 BAR.
It was showing 306BHP on their rollers though !!!
Needless to say that it was there for a remap anyway.....they fitted a suitable restrictor and the re-map brought the car up to 321BHP at 1.25 BAR boost.
This was one of the first ECUTEK re-maps. I would say the re-map is essential.

VERY nice exhaust and great sound though...not too loud but purposeful!!

Speak to Powerstation, as they fit these exhausts all the time.
Cheers
Old 22 May 2005, 09:26 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

What car do you have? I'd say a re-map (or at least restrictor change) is pretty much essential on a bug-eye STi. It is not essential on a bugeye WRX, but does improve a lot of things

It's not uncommon to see bugeye WRX's with full exhaust, up-pipe change and re-map making 260+bhp at Powerstation or 280+bhp at Power Engineering. With STi's, you can sometimes add 50bhp to those numbers (I've definitely seen some over 330 at PE). Note that at PE, it's not uncommon to see standard cars making over the "expected" 215/265 (WRX/STi). Either way you get a total of perhaps 50bhp increase. I think 35 by exhaust alone is probably somewhat optimistic side of average.

A big advantage of changing the exhaust system is that the turbo spools up much earlier, and can hang on to boost through higher revs. This "spreading" of the power & torque is - in every day driving - IMHO more relevant than the increase in peak power.
Old 23 May 2005, 07:20 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, Hades its a WRX wagon bugeye variant. It seems that opinion from thsi and other sites is spread between essential and recommended.

Kevin