Notices

WRX 1993 Import Problems

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:30 PM
Mike77WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 1993 Import Problems

Hi, recently brought a 1993 import WRX. got 2 problems with it, the speedo does not read accurately, its fine when you first start but after you brake a few times it goes out of sync (eg speedo reading 30mph, actual speed 22mph) other problem is the fuel gauge is stuck at full so i never know how much is left in the tank. i took the needle off and set it back to empty but when i turned the engine back on it went all the way to full again and has been there since

Mike
Old 18 May 2005, 11:07 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

get hold of a breakers mate and buy either the complete speedo (which i think you will have to do) or buy the parts you need.

I broke my rev gauge and fuel gauge putting bloody lockwoods on - never again had to buy speedo at £100 ish (cant remember - long time ago now!) Bought the plasma dials off a known auction place and they are great (bendy) and fit on piece of cake & look the dogs!

as for the miles reading i think you can get a certificate of the mileage chenge or just record it etc - not too sure on that either.

tim
Old 19 May 2005, 09:03 AM
Tracktive Solutions
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike

Sounds to me like 2 seperate problems...

The speedo issue could be either a bad mph converter or cabling issue.

The fuel gauge could be the sender unit in the tank.

Obviously cant be sure without seeing it, but think this might be somewhere to look at.
Old 19 May 2005, 01:34 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TSL Gav
Hi Mike

Sounds to me like 2 seperate problems...

The speedo issue could be either a bad mph converter or cabling issue.

The fuel gauge could be the sender unit in the tank.

Obviously cant be sure without seeing it, but think this might be somewhere to look at.
i agree with gave have a look at the float in the fuel tank (drivers side of boot under metal plate )
Old 19 May 2005, 06:36 PM
H.Q. RALLY PREP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Craig
i agree with gave have a look at the float in the fuel tank (drivers side of boot under metal plate )
Ther is a float in both sides of the tank, it sounds as if you have a dead short in the loom to the senders as i had the opposite problem and i shorted the sender wires out and it read full, if you go under the back seat on drivers side you will find a multi plug with 4 wires going to it, disconnect it an turn the ignition on and it should read nothing after a few moments, you will have to remove both access hatches in the boot an disconnect each sender unit seperatley to find the fault, be aware the sender units are about 120-140 pounds each plus vat, I know both of mine were broken!!!!
pm me if you want any more help
Mark