Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 11:51 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket

Hi,

After the debate the other day being unsure if i had problems.
I am all But Certain My head gasket has gone. the car is getting difficult to start and is stalling at junctions. I am loosing water yet nothing is leaking onto my drive. the exhaust is full of water.
I went on a 250 mile trip today and the car started juddering for no reason and loosing power, then it was ok again. I stopped at the services, and let it cool down i checked the water and it was empty.I put in just over 1 litre before i started off. Anyway I put in some radweld and loads of water, I then had a Classic wagon come onto the M5 and i tried to have a Play but the car was cutting out so i had to let off. a bit later about 30 mins or so, i got loads of water blow all over the windscreen. the lid popped off the plastic expansion bottle and it was now foaming out of their.
I nursed it to the next services and stopped. let it cool down put in more radweld and water. This time i left it idling for 10-15 mins before driving. i made it to my destination, with the car driving perfect. added a little water. drove about 80 miles back stopped checked and added some more water but not as much as before. the car drove back great with no juddering at all.

Any way i am going to do it myself and wondered if it can be done in situe or if it is an engine out job? where is the cheapest place to get Stainless Gaskets and what ever else is needed. new Bolts etc?
And do the heads normally need skimming? and do they crack etc?

Many Thanks
Derek Clarke
Old 15 May 2005, 07:00 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 16 May 2005, 12:42 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 16 May 2005, 07:19 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some grief!

If the head gaskets have gone:
The engine has to come out.
You can get the gaskets etc (and some advice) from David at www.apiengines.co.uk
Before you start: Ensure the heads have gone! One reliable way is to fill up the water as you have been. Warm the car up and go for a hard blast.Stop the car and lift the bonnet; are there any bubbles in the level tube just in front of the battery? If there are, then one or both have gone.
Rad weld is bad news, ensure you flush it all out.
The heads can crack rather than the gaskets blow!
Unless the gasket has failed really bad or over a long time then no skimming.
This is where David can help as he has the equipment and expertise to check everything.
When 'I' did mine, I took the stripped engine to API and had them do the heads and fit head studs. No probs since (and I race the car).

Good luck, Graham.