Notices

K&N 57i and Maf sensor

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 01:34 PM
scoob turbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N 57i and Maf sensor

Hi, I am thinking of fitting a K&N 57i induction kit to my classic turbo year 2000. I have read that this may damage the maf sensor, by vibration. Is the vibration that does the damage from actual vibration of the induction kit or is it the air flow causing the damage. If it is vibration from the induction kit, is it not possible to make a bracket/shield to keep it from vibrating. I would be making a hot air shield and fitting a mini scoop to make sure there is a good supply of cold air.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 14 May 2005, 04:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Playing with fire my friend. 98-00 cars already have the most delicate of MAF's, and fanning the flames with an I/K is asking for trouble. At best you will notice the knackered MAF and it will cost you £90 or so for another. At worst, you may need a full rebuild If you're running big power (>320bhp) with a serious effort put into the cold air feed and well bracketed to reduce vibrations then it is worth the effort, otherwise just get a decent panel (Green/JR Racing/K&N/STi). You could also play with the idea of removing the resonator and snorkel so the airflow is less restricted and brought in from the chilly inner wing area. This DIY no cost mod usually allows you to hear the turbo spool up more and the DV action without fitting a ridculous and pointless Chav valve.