Notices

Help needed with ECU upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 02:02 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help needed with ECU upgrade

I've have a 2001 WRX that is just running a partial decat (straight through centre with decat pipe and backbox, but original down and up-pipes). I would like to modify the ECU and I understand that getting an EcuTek remap would be the best way forward.

I was however wondering if there are any cheaper options. Is there an off the shelf ECU I can buy either second hand or new that just drops in, in place of the existing one? Prodrive or EcuTek 2/2.5? Something I can easily just swap in and out myself that doesn't require custom setup.

I reckon i've got about 235bhp now running on optimax (up from 215). I've believe the EcuTek would take that to 270'odd but I would be happy with a solution that just cracks the 250bhp mark. I also want a low risk option that isn't going to increase the probability of engine failure.

Any suggestions?
Cheers
Old 09 May 2005, 06:59 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

You might get a 2nd hand PPP ECU, but more likely to be the piggyback type one (which gives ~245bhp on optimax with the centre decat). Not many 2nd hand Ecuteks about, as in most cases they unlock the license to the ECU, meaning you can get multiple re-maps, so people don't need to sell them.

I also doubt that you'd get 270 odd bhp with the existing up and downpipes on an optimistic rolling road, you certainly won't on most rollers. The 03 on PPP claims 265bhp and often gets less on rolling road days. You'll only get in the 260-285 (depending on which rollers you use) with an ecutek and full de-cat.

Cheaper options? You could go with a Dawes device (do a search) to increase the boost. However, (a) you need to be sure it's set up to suitable boost which normally means a boost guage, and (b) upping the boost with the up-pipe cat in does increase the probability of up-pipe cat failure, often resulting in a dead turbo.

I would say the ultimate low risk option is decat up-pipe, ports cat exhaust and an Ecutek (again 260-285bhp depending on which roller you use), but you would have to pay for it.
Old 09 May 2005, 08:28 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

We have just completed an 03 WRX, full decat Mongoose exhaust, standard CAT uppipe and standard induction box & filter. The ECUTEK remap got it up to a nice driveable 263HP on the Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road.

Conrad
Old 10 May 2005, 02:17 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I don’t like the sound of just whacking up the boost using a Dawes device to be honest. I will forget trying to cut corners and start saving up the cash needed to do the job properly.

My exhaust system is just about the right volume for me, so I am not keen to go down the full de-cat route despite the power gains to be had from swapping out the down-pipe. I will plan for just the EcuTek and be happy with a solid 250-260bhp.

Thanks for the info and very helpful to have the options summarised as above.

Cheers