Notices

oil smell

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2005, 12:59 AM
robbyisthebest1971
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smell

hi guys,I have recently noticed a oil smell form my car (no oil seems to be coming from exhaust or engine, however i noticed that on last service subaru stated that the front oil pump seals needed replacing.Has anyone had this problem? Would this be where the smell is coming from? although this only seems to be after its driven a little harder than usual. its a 98 uk spec turbo

?? im lost
Old 30 April 2005, 11:22 AM
SuperFlyGuy
Scooby Regular

Wink Also try rocker cover gaskets

Originally Posted by robbyisthebest1971
hi guys,I have recently noticed a oil smell form my car (no oil seems to be coming from exhaust or engine, however i noticed that on last service subaru stated that the front oil pump seals needed replacing.Has anyone had this problem? Would this be where the smell is coming from? although this only seems to be after its driven a little harder than usual. its a 98 uk spec turbo

?? im lost
May also be rocker cover gasket. If you stand on the drivers side of the engine with the bonnet up and shine a small torch down under the spark plug housing you should see the underside of the exhaust shrouded with a heat shield (not the one around the turbo!). You find the rocker cover may leak onto this section of exhaust.

I cured mine by gently tightening up the rocker cover nuts (just lightly - otherwise you will damage the gasket and make the oil leak worse). Then wash off the oil stain on the exhaust with gunk.

Check passenger side too.

Camskill sell the gaskets for around £10 each but are fiddly to install.
Old 30 April 2005, 11:49 AM
robbyisthebest1971
Scooby Newbie

many thanks for your help much appreciated ill try that today and let ya know how i get on!
tks

Originally Posted by SuperFlyGuy
May also be rocker cover gasket. If you stand on the drivers side of the engine with the bonnet up and shine a small torch down under the spark plug housing you should see the underside of the exhaust shrouded with a heat shield (not the one around the turbo!). You find the rocker cover may leak onto this section of exhaust.

I cured mine by gently tightening up the rocker cover nuts (just lightly - otherwise you will damage the gasket and make the oil leak worse). Then wash off the oil stain on the exhaust with gunk.

Check passenger side too.

Camskill sell the gaskets for around £10 each but are fiddly to install.