Notices

boost leak? please help I am sure you will know answer

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2005, 11:52 AM
DW1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question boost leak? please help I am sure you will know answer

Fitted a decat downpipe last night, went for drive (reward for my labour) and the plastic pipe from the turbo to the bottom of the intercooler poped off.

I thought to myself I probably just had not tightened it.

Drive off after tightening pipe, after accelerating a little, then changing gear / backing off there is a dumpvalve chisshhhh noise - every time. (I have the standard bosch item so no noise should be present)

Also if one blips the throttle, the revs go up (as expected) but then dip below 500 rpm, then struggle to maintain idle for about 5 seconds.

Extreme - I know if a pipe connected to the intercooler if off the engine will not run.

My question to you is, if one of the pipes is not sealing correctly or has a slight split, would the above symptoms sound about right?

I think the short pipe between intercooler and inlet manifold has seen better days.

I used a new gasket at the turbo end of the downpipe - I tightened the 5 nuts/bolts up tight - could the expansion and fact that it was a new gasket make what seamed really tight when cold, loose/not so tight when hot?

I just hope wherever this boost leak is, it hasn't affected the MAF or Lambda sensor in any way. Paranoid!

Thanks for reading

Any comments appreciated.

David
Old 29 April 2005, 12:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the pipe onto the turbo is not on properly or has split, check the dump valve connections too..