Notices

Turbo v's Sport chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2005, 12:11 PM
Dragon.
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo v's Sport chassis?

Are there any major differences between the two or are they basically the same chassis/floorpan/structure etc.?

Presumably they run on a different suspension setup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 24 April 2005, 12:42 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

basically they are very similar although the sport does not have a rear arb fitted, it has the mounting holes on the chassis but no mounting points for the droplinks on the rear control arms.

The rear hubs are obviously different as the sport is fitted with drums instead of discs (apart from pre 96 sports and the bugeye onwards)

As far as i know the sport has different springs and dampers but everything from the turbo is compatible, springs-dampers-wheels-strut braces-arbs (when the turbo control arms are fitted)-antilift kit etc etc
Old 24 April 2005, 03:05 PM
Dragon.
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to confirm (will try and get some info from SUK) during the week) whether they are the same design and more importantly stength etc. prior to starting a build using a Sport shell. I have an anti-roll bar/links as well as associated suspension etc. from my donor car so hopefully provided there aren't too many major changes, I should have everything I need!

The only thing I would like to change from manufactured spec is the brakes. I don't like the brakes on the standard MY02 - do Subaru or alternative company do a stepped up brake kit (proven) without costing me a ridiculous amount of £'s?
Old 24 April 2005, 04:23 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you have a bugeyed model then. Not too up on these but i think they are the same shell and chassis as a turbo model, it's just the bolt on bits that will be different, such as arbs etc.

Brakes on the sport can be upgraded to those from a higher spec Impreza, for example i've gone from single pot fronts and drums on my classic to four pot fronts and single pot/ disc rears, biggest change was the rear hubs to accept the discs and calipers.
So you should be able to fit the four pots from a wrx or maybe even the brembo ones from an sti
Old 24 April 2005, 05:22 PM
Dragon.
Scooby Newbie

I'm not up to speed on these either hence the need for some information etc.

Sorry, I meant I didn't like the WRX standard brakes so yes, I think the STi option would be much better. Strangley enough, I complained about the brakes on the accident damaged WRX which is now sat in my yard so a little ironic that it ended up in an incident.

I was unable to buy a shell direct from SUK as apparently they don't sell them so this is an alternative way of building a new one. OK, it will show on the register as the customer has been paid out and it's been registered, but it will do as an advertising/track day vehicle for us which is the intension. Somewhat labour intensive, but cost effective fun