Notices

Power Steering - MY03 STi

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 12:57 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering - MY03 STi

I've started noticing lately that the power steering on the car (an MY03 STi)seems to be quite heavy - particularly after starting it up in the morning - it's almost as if it isn't working. If I give it a few revs, it seems to return to normal operation...

Any of you lot get the same thing happen?

I was wondering if it might be something wrong with the power steering, or possibly a weak battery (sometimes I need to crank the car over twice in the mornings)?

I've read elsewhere that some STi's can suffer with excessive battery drain by the Tracker, and that some sort of fix can be made? Dunno if that might be the cause of the battery being low, resulting in the steering problem?

I'll shut up now, I realise I'm rambling...
Old 19 April 2005, 01:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State of the battery has nothing to do with the power steering, the power steering pump is driven by the engine. The first thing to check would be the fluid level. The reservior is at the front, under the air intake. Check out the handbook!
JohnD
Old 19 April 2005, 08:04 PM
PlaneSailing
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 Sti does the same mate, fluid level is spot on but takes a few seconds for the pump to pressurise the hydraulics. Actually my new age car starts a lot slower than my old classic did and that may be a factor too. Not sure it's anything to worry about but as you still have warranty I recon it'd be worth you booking yours in for a quick check just in case.