Notices

who are the "exsperts"

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 09:27 AM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who are the "experts"

dont know is this has been done before,but who are "YOU"to be giving advise without qualifications. this is me!
r25 sti.....caravan engineer.
corgi gas engineer.
owned scoobys for 4 years.
done all my own work(except fitting my 2.5ltr motor),
but removed engines.
do all my own chassie work.
rebuilt all kinds of motor bikes.
i am not ungratefull and thank everyone for there advise, as everyone has their own oppinions and thats what its all about.but i have been given some stupid advise in the last few days(one person especialy)luckily i can weed out the chaff from the grain......cheers r25 sti.

Last edited by R25 sti; 08 April 2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08 April 2005, 09:55 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

the respected experts are concentrated on bbs.22b.com! (please note, this does not include me!)

edited to add, that is not to say they arent on here too as 99% of them are, just that they have pretty much been weeded out on there.
Old 08 April 2005, 10:37 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt define myself as an expert..

Who am I?

I drive a diesel Mondeo on a 96 with 110,000 miles
I also own a 562.4bhp Subaru which I did most of the work on, apart from assembling the engine, and mapping.
I did all the wiring, all the bodywork
Im also a Senior IT support Analyst for a Large Call Centre Service Provider, I look after 8000+ Users, 300+ servers and around 5-6 sites.

who gave you the stupid advice? as Ive seen some crap info given by you which would result in crap advice

David
www.iespell.com
Old 08 April 2005, 10:49 AM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

i wasnt after an argument,i have never been rude.and always curtious.i cannot recall ever giving advise only information i have been given.and i always say it is not my information.sorry if you cannot see the difference.i do value everyones comments but i like informed information.i do not know the people on this site as many of you do,and this was the reason for this thread.....thank you.

p.s.sorry about my spelling,i did not realise i had to spell correctly!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by R25 sti; 08 April 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08 April 2005, 11:03 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Wallis, like it or not you are an expert. You have done more yourself than pretty much anyone on these forums who isn't paid to tune cars.
Old 08 April 2005, 11:15 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

R25, david said that you gave crap info not advice.

I don't know what he means because I havent seen any of your other threads.

I don't think it is for people to proclaim themselves experts, but if you want to know who to trust I can make it simple by giving you the names of those people I have built up respect for.

andy forrest
john banks
david wallis
pat herborn
paul blamire
mark aigin
moray mackenzie
johnfelstead
tweenie rob - rob g

and many more.

Not so keen on those who cut and paste info from other sites but struggle to answer direct questions.
Old 08 April 2005, 11:23 AM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

thankyou,Adam M.this is what i was after i suppose...im also not sure what crap advise i gave.i have only ever passed on information i have been given and always said so.i have not entered many discussions as i only give advise on what i now is 100%....thanks again....r25 sti.
Old 08 April 2005, 11:35 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I think what was meant was that you have not given "ideal" descriptions on problems you may have asked questions on? Not sure, as I havent seen any of your posts -but possibly things like (although not as over the top as this):

Have got boost problems on modded WRX?

From this, people do not know the year, model, what mods you have etc etc and as such, have no chance of answering the question!
Old 08 April 2005, 12:17 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

tony pretty much that... r25 sti.. sorry Im really busy at work, hence short replies..

Nothing personal, but the quality of the advice is usually dependant on the quality of the problem analysis / description.

IE "my car makes a ticking noise" would prompt a response from me such as 'speak to a jewler about your watch!"

Where as if someone said Ive just fitted a new air filter and inlet hose an my car feels wierd and feels to be surging and sounds like a train....

Nothing personal.. it is friday afterall... just getting fed up of people asking the same questions.. "Which exhaust" blah blah And as for fitting 6spd to a classic.. I covered this years ago with pics!!.. and fitting clutches

PS.. I new nothing about scoobs when I bought mine!

One thing to bear in mind is somepeople claim to be experts on here, and somepeople believe the bull**** they post.. so will say these other people are!

Post count means nothing

Search works wonders for everything else.

David
Old 08 April 2005, 12:18 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

You have to be mindful on the internet that there are a lot (and I mean ALOT) of keyboard heros. These are the kind of people who think they know everything there is to know because they have read it somewhere.

Unfortunately, if you seek advise from people on the internet, you need to be able to sort the wheat for the chaff, or at least cut down on the signal-noise ratio to a managable level to be able to work out who is giving you honest advice, and who is peeing in the wind and giving you bull.

There is no easy way to do this other than by understanding what people have done themselves, to their own cars (or been allowed to do to others, in the case of re-mappers).

Everybody who has been around on this and other BBS's for a long time can probably name 3 or 4 people who are generally respected for their technical competenace, most of whom I've been lucky enough to talk to at events such as scoobyshootout/totb and at places such as scoobyclinic when we've bumped into each other. I would probably trust those people more than someone who has only been around for a few months.

The best advice I can think of is that you are going to do something to your car that is either going to require a large outlay of money, or put your car and its components at any physical risk - only take advice from someone you have met and you feel is knowledgable and trustworthy.

Otherwise, you may as well pick up the phone book, open up at a random page, give one of the numbers a ring, and ask whoever answers whether (insert mod of your choice) is a good choice for your (insert car of choice here). The advice you get would probably be more reliable than most of the stuff thats gets banded about on the internet.

Dave
Old 08 April 2005, 12:33 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

What not eveyone on the internet is an expert? WOW

I could post my resume, education, automotive certifications and current job title but thats boring.

My favorite disclaimer:
"No matter how much sense I am making, dont assume I know what I am talking about"

I like what Dave said:
"The best advice I can think of is that you are going to do something to your car that is either going to require a large outlay of money, or put your car and its components at any physical risk - only take advice from someone you have met and you feel is knowledgable and trustworthy."
Old 08 April 2005, 12:38 PM
Darbo_wrx
Scooby Regular

I think you find that unless you work for prodrive on the development side (not some munkey mechanic)then the guys who are developing there cars themselves are the real experts
companies dont tend to develop to as high a spec as individuals as they have to pay wages were as a enthusiast developer can devote 1000's of hours for no pay
examples
A guy i know who developed his pug 1.6 205 gti to develop more powere than any tuners could hope to achieve-class winning car
the same goes on here with the guys who are pushing for 500+bhp by the time you have developed your car to that level you know it inside out.
you just cannot argue with someone who has been there and done it
I for instance can build cars build engines no what is required to get a bloody quick car but i admit im very limited in my knowledge of mapping the car and the electrics to make it run -thats the point i find a expert in that department
i guess there are alot of mappers who couldnt build a car from a bare shell-swings and roundabouts

Darbo
Old 08 April 2005, 01:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Not sure of the point of this thread.
We all tend to have some/lot of experience of cars in general. That is valuable to many who have non.
Experts on the Impreza are listed above + some others too.

I have learnt a lot through the Snet and will continue to do so. If you take advice and act on it that is up to you to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I can claim to doing lots of work on the car, following those who I respect, and trying the results on the road and in real competition.
I freely release that info and that might help a few on here.

Certainly not an expert in the development of the upper limits of this car of ours, but willing to share my experiences good and bad (ie stupid).

The idea is to have fun, and learning who to listen to is part of that.

Debate is great, argument tedious, facts the best.

Graham (911)

Last edited by 911; 08 April 2005 at 01:39 PM. Reason: gramma!
Old 08 April 2005, 02:52 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

There are some very notable missed people in your list Adam who are constantly giving good advice and know their subject (you always miss these too )

Bob Rawle
Harvey Smith

I would add Steven Darley too (P20 SPD), he is very helpfull.

There are lots of people running business's that dont post on the BBS's too, so dont be shy in asking direct help from these people if you have a problem a good garage will solve, you dont have to do everything yourself.
Old 08 April 2005, 03:58 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

My mistake leaving out Steven and Harvey, both know their stuff and are happy to let others learn from their experience.
Old 08 April 2005, 04:02 PM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

the idear of this thread was for ME and other newbie,s to find out who people are.i could have sat at my computor for the next year or so trying to work it out,but i thought that may have been abit time consuming.i would rather be out in my car.
im still not sure what CRAP information I have given.i have only poasted a couple of threads.
Old 08 April 2005, 04:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Adam, don't forget Bob Rawle, which you seem to have a serious mental blockage with. Your comment on 22B about "does Bob still map cars?" not so long ago had me in stitches.
Old 08 April 2005, 04:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I didn't forget bob.
Old 08 April 2005, 07:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

/\ /\ /\ /\
Originally Posted by Adam M
My mistake leaving out Steven and Harvey, both know their stuff and are happy to let others learn from their experience.
Sorry Adam, had to be pointed out, no offence.

The list above (I'd probably add Mike Wood as he's from Prodrive and has some experience with modded scoobs too ) have all modded cars to levels beyond what most of us "mere mortals" ever will, or mapped/modified a lot of cars, so are the true experts.

There are also several people with a fair bit of experience modifying cars in general, who are semi-experts.

There are also quite a few people who understand most of the technical basics of how their cars work, have tuned their car, know what worked for them, and know what worked for theirs friends and/or fellow scoobynetters, so have some knowledge and a decent reserve of "second hand" experience they are happy to share. Call them the "keen amateurs". I'd put myself in that category

Finally, you get "cut and paste" experts, keyboard hero's or whatever you like to call them. Unfortunately, the uninitiated can't always tell who they are.

The only way to be sure you are getting good advice is to either (a) speak to someone who has been in the business for a long whilse and has a good reputation, or (b) weigh up the advice you are given, research the subject and go out and try things yourself. Option (b) can be expensive, but if you know what you did wrong, you will learn from your mistakes!
Old 08 April 2005, 07:06 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

P.S. Just because two people are experts, doesn't mean they'll always agree. I can think of several occassions where people on that list - either of who's opinions I'd value - have quite vocally disagreed. There's probably some old proverb that says "Many roads may lead to your desired destination" or something.
Old 09 April 2005, 12:19 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I didn't forget bob.
yes you did.
Old 10 April 2005, 01:44 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Well Adam might have his head up his backside but at least he tries to be honest, some of the time. Adam said:
the respected experts are concentrated on bbs.22b.com! (please note, this does not include me!)

edited to add, that is not to say they arent on here too as 99% of them are, just that they have pretty much been weeded out on there.
This is the honest bit.
(please note, this does not include me!)
I didn't forget bob.
You bloody did. Oink. Oink.

STi 25. This is a great place. For instance you can get spelling lessons from those that cannot spell. (or punctuate)

Some guys recommend their friends, others, not wanting to be left out from making a contribution will recommend whoever they used last, not because they are competant or represent best value for money but out of misguided loyalty or friendship.

Just because they pee in the same bucket is not a recommendation.

Just because "experts" make numerous posts on here or 22b does not mean they are expert Subaru tuners/modders. Look at the volume of their posts and see if their claims, dreams and asperations are commensurate with their results.

Last edited by harvey; 10 April 2005 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Punctuation ;)
Old 10 April 2005, 10:40 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

I kind of got lost with all the points you were trying to make in one post.

It is early sunday morning I am not thinking straight.

I am glad you can point out that I am not an expert, I have said it myself and will continue to say it. But I am happy to point people in the direction of those who know what they are talking about, which is why I provided the list I did.

Bob knows his stuff and can do wonderful things with ecus. I don't want to take that away from him, but I have my own reasons for not recommending him to people and I won't be bullied into changing that opinion just because everyone worships him and he has an otherwise excellent reputation.

I think he does excellent work for 99.9% of customers, but sadly I was one of the remaining, and for this reason, I am not keen on advocating him. Same with you and your old school scoobysport situation (except with different percentages).
Old 10 April 2005, 05:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Sorry there was a lot for you to absorb Adam
It is unfortunate that you draw an analogy between my difficulties with Pete Croney of Scooby Sport and Bob Rawle.
Pete Croney was deceitful and incompetant, not just with me and remember he was the guy who got oil out the local supermarket and swore it was Silkolene when customers had requested it.
I took him to court and demonstrated what he was about. Clearly the judge agreed with me. Even after this public demonstration there were still some who thought he was a good egg.

I know Bob to be competant, knowledgeable, reliable, honest and a man of great integrity, all adjectives which could not be applied to Croney.
A synopsis of what you refer to appears here :
www.geocities.com/harveysmith3000
Old 10 April 2005, 10:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sorry Adam, i thought you were being forgetfull. I have similar thoughts regarding Pat Herborne, I guess we balance each other out.
Old 11 April 2005, 07:37 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Harvey, I do believe I was unlucky with Bob but I alomst lost an engine hence my ill feelings. At no poiint did I think him dishonest, deceitful or incompetant, he certainly prives himself with others, its just that my dealings with bob left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I am sure it was an isolated case, but you can imagine that it makes it difficult to recommend someone, based on your own personal experience. Technically I am sure he is good, but my knowledge of mapping isn't good enough to base a recommendation on that front.
Old 11 April 2005, 12:58 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hey, why don't I appear on the list? Or, blah-blah-blah?

Most important rule of using BBS's - learn to sort the wheat from the chaff! Or, know those that testiculate ("waving arms around and talking bollox" according to an email received today ).

Richard
Old 11 April 2005, 01:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to pick up the posts with no replies and try and help out where I can, or point in the direction of a post answering this question before, like where David has for example got fed up with answering the question lots of times.

I think it is fool hardy to call yourself an expert, you shut off and think you know it all then..

I've owned Scoobs for 4.5years and current one has done lots of miles and so been through the mill with the common problems and I do 99.9% of the work on it myself, I have mapped it myself on a couple of different ecu types and mapped a small handful of cars and enjoy doing this, I work in software in the Aerospace industry but would prefer not to go any further into that on here..

I spend most of my time on bbs.22b.com mainly increasing my knowledge and having a laugh rather than giving out knowledge..

Simon
Old 11 April 2005, 01:50 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

With regards to the same questions coming up time and time again I don't find the search engine on this BBS very good. I certainly found the search function excellent 5 years ago but now it is pi$$ poor in comparison?

Maybe it's because it has to search through so much crap.

Damian.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:53 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree the search is not very good.