Notices

Rattle from rear seatbelt mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 07:41 PM
theFatFong
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle from rear seatbelt mounting

There's a persistent rattle coming from, I think, the rear seatbelt mount point on my 2004 STi.

Does anyone have an idiot's guide on how to remove the trim from around the seatbelt mounting? I'd like to have a look myself before paying a garage loads in labour charges only to find nothing.

Cheers.
Old 06 April 2005, 07:52 PM
James_PowerMad
Scooby Regular

Hi Fat,

I had an annoying rattle that I eventually tracked back to the rear seat harness mount/cartridge.

I can't remember all of what I did, but I had to take out the rear seat (both deck and back sections). You need a 14mm socket and extension for this IIRC.

Then take off the plastic trim behind the appropriate door (There may have been a screw somewhere there).

I found that the seat harness cartridge was fixed with a bolt and a peg. the peg rattled inside its hole in the mounting. I unbolted the cartridge and bent the peg slightly to give it some tension, then wrapped a bit of insulation tape round the peg to damp out any further rattle possibility.

Bolt back on, and re-locate the plastic cover, and seating, and horaah, no more rattles form the rear!!!!

Only rattle problem now is the glove box seems to clunk sometimes when it is closed, but can't work out why!!!

Good luck,
James
Old 06 April 2005, 07:59 PM
Jason Knowles
Scooby Regular

Ive got adsactly the same rattle on mine at the moment,Ive removed seat and side trim on near side rear ,I think your in the right area ,going to drive mine tommorrow to try to hear where this noise is from,and then cure it.Ill post up tommorrow and let you know what i did to fix this JASON