Notices

Help --- Brake Bleeding --- Question

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 10:03 PM
WRX Youngster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help --- Brake Bleeding --- Question

Hi quick question for you all, i have just bled the brakes on an early Subaru Legacy Turbo. Bled all four corners, the pedal feels nice and firm, no spongy feel. But then when you start the engine the pedal goes to to the floor and there are next to no brakes when you try and drive. Has anyone got any ideas is there something else that i need to do, or is there something elsewhere that has failed. Hope that someone can help then i can get the car finished off tomorrow night.

Thanks
Old 31 March 2005, 01:11 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

you almost certainly have air still in there, or your sevo is kaput.

most likely your bleeding technique. always start with the caliper/nipple furthest away from the mater cylinder. dont bother with these brake bleed kits with the valve in the end they are crap. just a good fitting piece of clear hose, a jam jar, and someone to pump the pedal for you.

get them to pump the pedal until there is pressure, and then hold the pedal down while you open the nipple. when his foot goes to the floor, lock the nipple back up before he takes his foot of the pedal. repeat this procedure until there is not even any tiny bubbles coming out.

doing it this way, even if the pipe is not submersed fully in the jam jar, you will not suck any air back up. always give each nipple a fair few pumps after you think it is air free. there is almost always more in there!

there are other ways and techniques but this has always worked best for me.
Old 31 March 2005, 04:50 PM
WRX Youngster
Scooby Regular

I have been doing it exactly as you describe, that is how i always do it. I also maybe thought that there could be a fault with the servo, or could there be a fault with the brake master cylinder. Maybe there is a problem with the ABS. Is there anyway of checking that side of the system and at what point to you bleed on the abs unit in the engine bay?

Thanks

Originally Posted by p1mark
you almost certainly have air still in there, or your sevo is kaput.

most likely your bleeding technique. always start with the caliper/nipple furthest away from the mater cylinder. dont bother with these brake bleed kits with the valve in the end they are crap. just a good fitting piece of clear hose, a jam jar, and someone to pump the pedal for you.

get them to pump the pedal until there is pressure, and then hold the pedal down while you open the nipple. when his foot goes to the floor, lock the nipple back up before he takes his foot of the pedal. repeat this procedure until there is not even any tiny bubbles coming out.

doing it this way, even if the pipe is not submersed fully in the jam jar, you will not suck any air back up. always give each nipple a fair few pumps after you think it is air free. there is almost always more in there!

there are other ways and techniques but this has always worked best for me.