Notices

05 Spec B - Smelly Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2005, 06:51 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Spec B - Smelly Clutch

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed on their Spec B, or any Legacy for that matter a really horrid smell from the clutch. I do know that if you are heavy on a clutch on an incline then it will start to burn and smell, but our legacy is quite bad even on the shallowest of inclines.

I have reported it to the dealer and he said "It is quite common". We certainly didn't notice it on our Porsche or Impreza WRX (All similar in performance terms).

Originally we put it down to it being new, but we are now at 1,800 miles and it is still an issue.

Also, the fuel economy on the car is far worse than we imagined. During running in we were constantly getting 25. Now it is in the low 20's. Undoubtdly my driving style has relaxed as it isn't a new baby anymore, but my right foot hasn't suddenly got that heavy. I do appreciate it is a 3.0i and is carrying 4wd, but this is not good.

On a positive note, cross country or cruising on the motorway the car is a fabulous piece of kit but I am just concerned there could be a problem with the car.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:18 AM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

I noticed this in my 05 Sti. Have seen a couple of other posts by pps with the same thing. Ive only done 600 miles and have noticed it on small inclines aswell as when pulling away quickly from junctions. It may be down to the type of clutch thats fitted to these cars, though im not too sure. Im sure someone else will give some better advice on this but yeh the 05 STi's do this too.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:31 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=KeithRS]I noticed this in my 05 Sti. Have seen a couple of other posts by pps with the same thing. Ive only done 600 miles and have noticed it on small inclines aswell as when pulling away quickly from junctions. It may be down to the type of clutch thats fitted to these cars, though im not too sure. Im sure someone else will give some better advice on this but yeh the 05 STi's do this too.[/QUOTE

Interesting as the Spec B has the same 6spd box, so I guess it has the same clutch.
Old 27 March 2005, 10:04 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

so far all our demos have had the smelly clutch syndrome and even subaru say it's normal.