Notices

'94 classic NOT running very well!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2005, 08:54 AM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 classic NOT running very well!!

Hello im hoping some one can help me? ive taken it to a garage & they cant really find out why, ive had done what other people think it was BUT still NO joy although is a little better now.

when driving the car, after it has warmed up, (e.g long journey) then hit traffic, when i go to pull away in in 1st the car KANGOROOS/ with the slightest tap of the GAS PEDAL the revs, SHOOT up to about 2500rpm, for about 3-5seconds then its o.k, untill i stop again, then will happen again, i can drive it out BUT i SHOULDNT have to should i?? also when (same thing) its in 2nd gear & i go round a SLOW corner it does the same (under powered feel/jults) but it wont let me in 1st gear so has to be a 2nd gear.
is that connected??

ive had the idle control valve cleaned (flushed out) the garage found a SPLIT in 1 of the TURBO pipes, (i DO need rocker cover gaskets, found out the other weekend), other than that my Garage is stuck/confussed. YES my mechanic does drive a SCOOBIE thats why i go there.

DOESNT do this all the time mind you, only after a LONG DRIVE,
BUT it never did it when i bought the car last year???
Old 25 March 2005, 04:52 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Maybe telling us what has been already done that made it a little better will help.... no point covering old ground.

You say about going round corners, is this both left and right corners. What feul level was in the car at the time, have you replaced the fuel pump at all. Are the coild packs new etc.

Tony.

PS your posts are hard to read with all the random bolds, capitals and underlining. Just type normally.
Old 25 March 2005, 04:57 PM
Adrum
Scooby Newbie

I had the same thing on my 96MY Classic when my MAFsensor was on its way out - however the check engine light came on and off, until after about 10 days when it wouldnt run at all, just a thought, mine was also missing when it happened, the root cause was a cone filter - has yours got a cone on it?
Old 25 March 2005, 10:06 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

maf has been mentioned. fault is quite typical of the iscv not operating properly but u say that was sorted.have all leads and connectors been checked? coolant sensor is also a common cause of this type of behaviour.
Old 26 March 2005, 12:43 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

ive had the idle control valve cleaned (flushed out) the garage found a SPLIT in 1 of the TURBO pipes, (i DO need rocker cover gaskets, found out the other weekend), other than that my Garage is stuck/confussed. YES my mechanic does drive a SCOOBIE thats why i go there.

TONE LOC, as above: idle control valve FLUSHED out, & found a turbo pipe split,

FUEL level is never lower than quarter tank, & they are slow corner MAX 10mph,as its a U-turn type corner, YES only does it on the one corner. Fuel pump NOT been replaced, coiled pack??? Dont know what they are, BUT not change any thing major like that on the car HAD car 1year 3months. OH yes apart from the oil change every half a year, & the 2 services ive had done.
P.S sorry about the way i tex.

ADRUM, I dont have a cone filter, as was told this sort of thing would happen if i did!!!

BUZZARD , thank you will take note of everything on here PRINT and copy & show my Mechanic.
Old 26 March 2005, 01:26 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The usual things to go on cars this age are the coil packs. These sit directly on top of the spark plugs (no HT leads on pre97 scoobs for this reason). When they start to go the car hicups and misses while on load. Coil packs are around £50 each, and obviously there are 4 of them.

Also the fuel pump will no be showing its age, when mine went it would stutter mostly while pulling out of junctions etc.... until it got worse. Cost of a new pump is less than £100 for a high flow item.

As mentioned above, coolant sensor could aslo be faulty. To be honest it could be a variety of things. Does your mechanic know Subarus well, and has he got access to a select monitor (subaru diagnostic tool)?

Tony.
Old 26 March 2005, 05:34 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It's likely to be either MAF, Lambda or coils, although the coils tend to show signs of weakness on boost rather than coming of a closed throttle. Could even be the spark plugs gapped wrongly. Mine ran like yours when the lambda failed, if thats any help.
Old 26 March 2005, 06:32 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
The usual things to go on cars this age are the coil packs. These sit directly on top of the spark plugs (no HT leads on pre97 scoobs for this reason). When they start to go the car hicups and misses while on load. Coil packs are around £50 each, and obviously there are 4 of them.

Also the fuel pump will no be showing its age, when mine went it would stutter mostly while pulling out of junctions etc.... until it got worse. Cost of a new pump is less than £100 for a high flow item.

As mentioned above, coolant sensor could aslo be faulty. To be honest it could be a variety of things. Does your mechanic know Subarus well, and has he got access to a select monitor (subaru diagnostic tool)?

Tony.
he doesnt work in A scoobie garage just a little one out back of NOWHERE, but he races his scoobie so he know alot!

BUT the BOSS does in our CLUB!!! i'll ask him 1st & see what he comes up with.
THANK YOU

Last edited by baz69birds; 26 March 2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 15 April 2005, 04:52 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

hello had idle control valve re-flushed (as EXTREME SCOOBIES said it was that) it cut the problem down by half!!!
ive had a NEW fuel pump fitted, thats made a LITTLE bit of a difference, will try & keep you's updated.
BAZ
Old 13 May 2005, 07:06 PM
baz69birds
Scooby Regular

DONT IT, the new turbo pipe my mechanic fixed for me!! HE DIDNT he bodged it!!! & that was still letting in air so ive fixed it myself, replace the old pipe with NEW SAMCO PIPE

RUNS really really well now, THANK YOU every1 who helped me, with your advice, CHEERS
Old 13 May 2005, 07:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

GlAD YoU SoRtEd iT