Notices

Nitrous.....

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 11:47 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous.....

Im just curious.....does Nitrous have be "allowed for" in a map? or is it something that can be set up independantly? Im also not sure as to the difference between dry shot and wet shot....? can anybody clarify?

Im just trying to get an understanding of how this stuff works, no plans do deploy it on the scoob just yet!!!

Neil.
Old 24 March 2005, 09:56 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

nobody eh?
Old 24 March 2005, 02:07 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Taken from www.japmobiles.com
Dry
Nitrous is added at the intake pipe and adds extra fuelling for the pressure created by the nitrous. All dry kits add the pressure to the fuel regulator apart from the Venom kit (pictured below). The Venom kit adds fuel electronically by pulsing the injectors for longer time. Try and keep less then 6" between the nozzle and throttle body
Cost: £600 + £2-4 per lb of nitrous.

Wet
The same idea as dry but the wet bit comes in the form of an extra fuel injector. The fuel rail is tapped for the extra injector - pre-made billet ones are available frm the likes of AEM. The fuel and nitrous are pumped through a Y-shaped nozzle. There's not really much in it between wet and dry.

Direct Port
Direct port kits are the same concept as the wet kit, but there are 4 nozzles, one in each the area between the intake plenium and the head. The minimum N2O shot for a direct port kit is 80-90. All direct port kits must be custom made to fit with plate kits available that bolt between the intake manifold and the head. Plate kits are limited to the amount of cars they are made for - usually Honda.

Engine mods for N2O?

1) Colder plugs around 2 heat ranges cooler.
2) Retard the timing.
3) Purge kit. Purge kits clear out warm nitrous and air bubbles. The kit is also a safety feature, so when you shut the bottle off all the pressure is released out of the line, extending the solenoid life.
4) Fuel pressure regulator and pressure guage so you can keep an eye on things
5) Larger injectors to increase fuel flow.
So to answer your question RE remap - I would say that would be the safest bet ( see point 2 RE retarding timing)!
Old 24 March 2005, 02:12 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

thanks, thats really useful info

I wouldnt be doing this sort of thing anytime soon, but as i really enjoy 1/4 miling then its something that id consider when its not my primary car

Ta.
Neil.