Notices

Centre decat back...

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2005, 09:02 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Centre decat back...

On my 05 WRX I recently decatted the centre and added a resonated centre and Ninja BB, I have the decat D/P and U/P to do (just didn't fancy doing it straight away). the idea is to get this done in the next few weeks and then hopefully have a tek3 ~April/May.

Now my point is this, I didn't expect any significant gains in performance with this first stage, just cosmetic's and the sound, and initially for the first few days that's how it seemed. However, the last few days I have really noticed a difference; full boost by 3k @ 1.15 bar (holding 1 bar), previously 3.5-4k @ 1.1bar (holding 0.9), my 60-100mph has dropped from 10.5sec to 8.75sec. Another interesting point is initially I was concerned the exhaust was a bit loud, now though it has mellowed into a great sound, this has coinsided with this improved performance.

This is not mind over matter, I wasn't expecting any gains, the figures speak for themselves..!

Could the ecu have adjusted to exploit the modification..?

Cheers,

Jason

PS can't wait for stages 2 &3
Old 11 February 2005, 09:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

How many miles have you done? New cars do losen up with a few miles under their belt!
Old 11 February 2005, 09:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Very possible but I've only done 3500miles.

Jason
Old 11 February 2005, 10:28 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Very possible but I've only done 3500miles.

Jason
Jason,

so what is it you've change exactly? the backbox to a Ninja and the next inward pipe from that?

I changed my BB to a ninja many months ago and contemplated changing the other pipe but didn't think it would make much extra difference.

If it does... and doesn't have any other detromental effect on the car then all for doing it.
Old 12 February 2005, 03:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastfrank
Jason,

so what is it you've change exactly? the backbox to a Ninja and the next inward pipe from that?

I changed my BB to a ninja many months ago and contemplated changing the other pipe but didn't think it would make much extra difference.

If it does... and doesn't have any other detromental effect on the car then all for doing it.
The Ninja back box, Ninja resonated centre and afterburner centre decat pipe (wrapped) this is the one that runs off the down pipe on newage cars, the one thats removed for PPP).

The top of Scoobyworld web page shows the whole system (based on this I've changed cat pipe, centre section and rear silencer;

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolleyed/8/23/index.htm

4th and 7th items down the page (I also have the up-pipe and down pipe wrapped and ready to go on).

The other thing is I was expecting to see the CEL light come on (Lambada sensor screws into decat pipe) so far, with all sorts of driving inc longish cruise, it's not.

Not a bad start really..!

Jason

PS I would say the ninja centre section, when you compare them side by side, is far more free flowing, smoother, unconstricted bends.

Last edited by jasonius; 12 February 2005 at 03:13 PM.