Notices

Nightmare exhaust bolt siezed..!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 02:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare exhaust bolt siezed..!

Had a bit of a mare yesterday when I had my centre cat, centre section and BB changed on my 05 WRX.

The flange from the DP to centre cat had a bolt/nut one side (as usual) no problem to undo, but the the other fastner was a stud (threaded into the centre cat) which was a B@stard, the nut started to turn then siezed..!

The guy doing it tried some heat and it helped a bit but eventually snapped the stud..! Luckily the nut came off so we were able to seperate the flanges.

Next the lambada sensor into centre cat did the same thing (ie started to loosen then siezed). Resorted to freeway in the end (I know your not supposed to on these sensors) and after soaking for 10 mins it came out ok..!

I was sh@tting it because it looked at one point as thought we were stuffed with a broked stud and unable to do DP/centre cat flange back up and a sensor that wasn't going to come out..!

It all worked out ok in the end Im just glad I didn't attempt this on my ramps on the drive..!!!!

However this has put me off the idea of decatting the DP and uppipe for fear of siezed/broken studs..!

Any thoughts..?

Jason
Old 06 February 2005, 04:36 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems odd that thry have siezed over such a short period of time.
When i first did the downpipe on my MY99 UK Turbo it came off fine without any plusgas or anything and it was 4yrs old at the time!
Must have been a crossthreading day in the subaru plant when yours was made

Dan.