Notices

Need help in determining ECU in my car and future mapping possiblities

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 10:02 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in determining ECU in my car and future mapping possiblities

The previous owner said that my my98 STi4 had a JDM remapped ECU fitted when it was in Jap land. Is there anyway of checking this? I think the ECU is located in passenger footwell? How can i tell if its standard or not? Is it possible to take the lid of and see if a chip has been inserted?

Is it possible to remap an my98 through serial port or is this post 99 cars only?

When i picked the car up the owner had set the blitz sbc boost controller to allow 100% ratio of boost through, hence it was peaking at near 25psi and holding 24!! At the time of driving this back home i did not know that this was too much boost (Have turned it down to 16psi now), but the fuel cut or overboost protection would only cut in on a few occasions. Sometimes it would happily hold 24psi and be flying, this begs me to believe that the ECU has been remapped?

I have purchased a knocklink just to monitor things, have been running on optimax and millers octane booster. Turned the boost up a little, peaking 19 holding 17.4, running really sweetly now.

Just need to work out what ECU it is running, was thinking of gems later in the year once ive done some engine mods.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:57 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer all of your questions but if the mY98 JDM ECU is like the UK one it can't be mapped via a serial port.

The two most popular routes are either getting an Apexi Power FC ECU (Andy.F has a great reputation and can both supply and map these) or Power Engineering in Uxbridge map the MY98 ECU's via a secondary chip. I'm not sure if PE will do the remap work on JDM cars, but a quick call would answer that.

Hope that's of some help.