Newbie Q -BHP Q and first mods Q

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2005, 01:15 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Newbie Q -BHP Q and first mods Q

Hi Guys/Gals,
I am hopefully going to join the ranks of scooby owners soon, after the sale of my heavily modded 200sx, so i have a few Q's that after a brief search can't find the answers but they're probably there!!;

1. As there's a bewildering array of models, what BHP does an MY01 WRX (standard) and a MY00 WRX STI kickout ?
2. With regards to Mod's (not knowing what parts make up the exhaust system), what BHP would an exhaust system from the turbo back give you? Do you need such things as turbo elbows etc?
3. Following on from Q2, adding a K&N filter or suchlike would also help? or is the scooby's breathing fairly good?
4. What stock boost does the WRX run, and could I use a greddy profec B to increase the boost, and to what level? With the Mods in 2 and 3 above what would the total BHP likely to be?

That's all for now ........ cheers
James

P.S. I will be selling my beloved 200, but i will probably take off all the mods, but am flexible in this, maybe some scooby owner fancies a change..

Last edited by jammers; 28 January 2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 28 January 2005, 05:05 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

So no-one can help me??? Don't you mod your cars ??
Old 28 January 2005, 06:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

what BHP does an MY01 WRX (standard) and a MY00 WRX STI kickout ?
the MY01 will be about 220bhp while the MY00 STI will be 280 bhp and due to weight differences will be a lot quicker

changing the exhaust will add power, but if you gonna change parts on turn the boost up on a 99/00 STI i would pay for an ECUTEK remap so the car will run nice and that will up the boost safely ecutek remap and an exhaust and filter change will probaly get a 99/00 STI up to about 320bhp
Old 28 January 2005, 07:37 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add, don't bother with an induction kit as a panel filter will suffice to ~350bhp.
Old 28 January 2005, 08:03 PM
berrick
Scooby Regular

or save your money........even a standard Impreza has more ability than 99% of drivers can make use of. Spend the money on snowboarding or scubadiving or something real!! If its the speed thrill your after don't waste time on cars buy a 600 supersport bike.

No offence meant....just be contrary for a bit of banter (the proud owner of a classic for the last 7 years! + Honda CBR600)
Old 28 January 2005, 10:01 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Berrick, mate, you can't post "save the money for something else instead" on the technical forum of scoobynet, it's not the done thing. It's not kosher. Not that I'd mind a new reg for my scuba kit... The ol' Aqualung is getting a little long in the tooth.

Jammers, Don't change the airbox on an Impreza, the MAF is sensitive to carbon fouling, and the ECU isn't happy with cone filters either. Theres so much heat-soak in the engine bay that the benefits aren't enough. The stock box is great to 350 HP as theotherphil said. After that and you need an aftermarket box. Not an aftermarket cone. For older cars, an ECUTEC really is essential, and you will be getting a good 320 BHP with over 250lbft torque. Mind you, if you pick up a scoob 2nd hand, chances are it's already had the first stage development carried out.

btw Welcome to scoobynet!
Old 29 January 2005, 12:10 AM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by berrick
or save your money........even a standard Impreza has more ability than 99% of drivers can make use of. Spend the money on snowboarding or scubadiving or something real!! If its the speed thrill your after don't waste time on cars buy a 600 supersport bike.

No offence meant....just be contrary for a bit of banter (the proud owner of a classic for the last 7 years! + Honda CBR600)

And a CBR 600 has more performance than 99.5% of riders can make use of.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2005, 12:20 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by berrick

cars are quicker than bikes dont fool yourself clarkson raced an R1 against a porsche carrera 4 and the R1 lost and the porsche wasnt even a turbo
Old 29 January 2005, 11:29 AM
berrick
Scooby Regular

fair shout guys........with 145k on the clock of mine i don't think now is the time to start moding!!

although stevebt - most people mod scoobs for engine performance and not handling.....having owned a porsche 996 carrera 2 (who wants 4 wheel drive on that type of car!!) its not as quick as a scoob [although may be between 70-110 but who cares about that range] and in terms of acceleration in any gear at any point anything like a sports 600 or above will leave either for dead.......must look up the Clarkson vid....Cheers
Old 31 January 2005, 11:03 AM
jammers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys, thats given me a lot of info in one hit

I've virtually settled on a MY01 WRX (bugeye).
So as i understand what you've all said, to add a bit of performance ...
1. I'll keep the panel filter (possibly change it in case of fouling),
2. Purchase an exhaust (again from turbo back?) any supplier/retailer recommendations, stealth type would be good.
3. Not to use my greddy boost controller, but get a remap of the engine after installing an ecutek chip? How much is one of these chips and what available tuners are there in the gloucestershire area?
4. On a cosmetic front, where can i get one of those big *** spoilers that the Sti has?
And that should hopefully see my over the 300bhp mark? Not bad, considering what i had to do to my 200 to get to 350bhp!

cheers
James
Old 31 January 2005, 06:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

you will need a lot more than that to get a my01 impreza to over 300bhp, the ecutek will be a custom map of your own ecu, i would get in touch with br developments. as for the spoilers, i have seen them on ebay for buy it now of about £170 ish
Old 31 January 2005, 07:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The MY00 STi is in a different league as a performance car to a MY01 WRX and can be sorted to 320 BHP for less than a grand. If you've had a 350 BHP 200SX you need the STi IMHO.

The STi has better:
- pistons (forged)
- valves/valvetrain (8000 RPM limit)
- stronger gearbox
- better dampers
- nicer interior
- bigger turbo
- lower intercooler pressure drop
- uprated intercooler pipework

To further change the STi to a 400 BHP monster, all you would have to do later is: (and then despite what has been said, it lives with 600cc bikes, at least typical 600 riders and is within a second of litre bikes on the 1/4 mile, and I won't even bring up the twisties, when the road is covered with slime and bumps and it is windy, and the rider is average ).
- uprate intercooler
- exhaust manifold
- bigger turbo
- injectors & fuel pump
- tweak ECU again
- clutch
- brakes

Whereas on the WRX you'd have to also do the gearbox, suspension and really the engine as well to make a nice driving 400 BHP with a good engine, as the WRX engine revs 1000 RPM lower which makes it less flexible with a bigger turbo.

If you want a soft cruiser that is easy to insure, but really quite slow, the WRX is for you. But I do 15-20000 miles a year with P1 suspension which is the same as STi 5/6 just with different springs.

Last edited by john banks; 31 January 2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 31 January 2005, 07:57 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Hi James (I think we exchanged PM's on SXOC)

1) UK 2001 WRX may seem very underpowered compared to the Japanese imports such as the WRX (old shape), STI and times against the UK classics.

2) http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk is a very good way to compare different modifications.

I can only talk from the perspective of a classic MY99 UK car. I would highly recommend getting a full de-cat. That's the downpipe (with the main cat), the centre section (with secondary car on UK cars) and the backbox. You won't need to worry about manifolds and up-pipes until you start getting carried away!!

3) I've always been a fan of induction kits, and have used K&N 57i's on a UK MY97 and UK MY00. On the MY99, I used a Unifilter Rampod induction kit and eventually swapped it for an APS CAI (cold air induction kit) along with an APS FMIC.

For my Forester, I will only go for a panel filter as it will not be heavily modified.

4) A boost controller can give good gains, I used one on my old MY99 running at 1.2 bar and got 280bhp, with a de-cat and filter. http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/uk/andrew_tang2.htm

Consider a Ecutek remap, if you get these modifications, so you can ensure that the ignition timing and fuelling match the boost levels. Several good mappers about and I would highly recommend BR Developments.

I think the initial costs are £550+VAT (as part of the group buy, see Group Buy Forum). Remaps will be at a reduced rate, should you take your modifications to the next level.

I'm a huge fan of the classics, but the bugeyes do have a better build quality.

There are lots of options for ECUs, exhausts, filters, wheels, oils, dealers, etc, etc!!! Fortunately there is a wealth of information on this website!

Good Luck
Andy
Old 31 January 2005, 09:06 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

350 bhp through just the rear tyres sounds like a lot of fun!

Wanted a 200 sx but 2 kids said no. had to be practacle and go for a 5 door wrx!
Old 31 January 2005, 11:09 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by captain ted
350 bhp through just the rear tyres sounds like a lot of fun!

Wanted a 200 sx but 2 kids said no. had to be practacle and go for a 5 door wrx!
Yep, its awesome when you lay the power down and get it right!!

Blimey, more info to consider ......

Thanks John, Andy and Steve .... maybe i better look for an STi .....
Old 31 January 2005, 11:48 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Mappers near Gloucestershire - Bob Rawle as mentioned before is in Swindon, is highly regarded and can advise supply on numerous other mods too. Powerstation are in Tewkesbury, and do mapping as well as a lot of other things, suspension, build most of the Litchfield Type 25s etc. Either are well worth speaking to.

01 WRX is a very different kind of car to the 00 STi. Much more refined, comfier for motorway cruising, stiffer shell, better interior. Also noticeable heavier, softer suspension, gearbox and clutch good for only ~330lbft torque. You might find 330bhp/300lbft torque (e.g. a well sorted VF34/35 turbo'd car) fast enough. STi is rawer, lighter and capable of being tuned more, as various people have stated. Also harder to insure as it'll be a Japanese import. Seriously suggest you have a drive in each and see which you prefer, as they are very different.
Old 01 February 2005, 03:47 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hades ...
I thought the powerstation was in cheltenham?? maybe its moved?

I think the MY01 (bugeye) is my preferred choice, prob go with a WRX as those STi's are a lot more expensive, on av £4-5000 more? i do know from Johns tech appraisal they are can be well tuned though ...

So, if i got a WRX, added a turbo back exhaust, uprated panel filter, upped the boost to 1/1.2 bar, had a custom remap with an ecutek chip, that should see me to 270bhp ish????

JAmes
Old 01 February 2005, 05:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

if your going to buy a newshape sti, its worth the extra cash as they have a stronger engine than the old sti's plus they have a 6 speed gearbox which will be crucial if you mod it alot
Old 01 February 2005, 08:11 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Yep, powerstation moved about a month ago. Their new site is a lot more convenient for the motorway (especially as cheltenham is dug up at the moment), and also a lot bigger/nicer.

If you add decat up-pipe (which I strongly recommend you do) to your list of mods to a WRX, you'd see over 260bhp on a pessimistic RR, over 280 on an optimistic. Mine is pretty much at that state and got 284 at Power Engineering.
Old 01 February 2005, 10:27 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

cheers steve... does the wrx have a 6 speed gearbox?

John, so you got a bugeye WRX? I confirm that i will be going for an exhaust from the turbo back, so that will include a decat up-pipe, so that should give roughly 270bhp, that'll be fine for now ...... Also where is power engineering - i recognise that name?
cheers
James
Old 01 February 2005, 11:24 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Up-pipe is before the turbo, downpipe+centre+backbox is "turbo back". Power Engineering is in Uxbridge (ish) i.e. West side of London.

John has something somewhat more rapid than any bugeye WRX I know of. However, I do have a modded bugeye WRX (02).

If you're getting in Scoobs and in Southern half of Gloucestershire, keep an eye on www.scoobyzone.co.uk. If you come along to one of the meets, I'm sure I could take you for a quick ride to give you an idea of what a modded WRX does. On occassions, you might also find someone with a modded STi (classic or blobeye at least) to compare.

Phil
Old 02 February 2005, 02:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

James, I have a MY00 Euro import, with a 2.5 engine transplant, six speed gearbox. About 450 BHP/400 lbft.