Notices

STI Ver2 555

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2005, 04:08 AM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Ver2 555

I have done lots of searching around and due to its limited production I haven't found much.

I just imported this from japan as a smashed clip and installed the full drivetrain into a classic bodyshell.

Just wondering if people have specs on boost limits, injector sizes, bhp etc??

Not much support over here (Canada) for tuning and such for this old of ECU but I need to know what I can push in the way of upgrades like turbo, exhuast, FMIC etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22 January 2005, 01:23 AM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

no love for the new guy...its ok I can take it...

I am running 17 psi max - me thinks this engine has been tuned. What are acceptable levels for this engine?
Old 22 January 2005, 09:21 AM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by 2.5RS King
I have done lots of searching around and due to its limited production I haven't found much.

I just imported this from japan as a smashed clip and installed the full drivetrain into a classic bodyshell.

Just wondering if people have specs on boost limits, injector sizes, bhp etc??

Not much support over here (Canada) for tuning and such for this old of ECU but I need to know what I can push in the way of upgrades like turbo, exhuast, FMIC etc.

Thanks in advance!
I have an sti2 as well. The standard boost is 0.9 bar, 380cc injectors are used and the bhp is 270bhp and 235lbs/ft. Mine used to run the standard 6K ecu but it need 100ron fuel otherwise you get det occurring. You can start tuning it various ways but be warned like i have just found out this week, the transmission can not take too much power. Anywhere up to around 280 lbs/ft and then the usual 3rd gear will go. The way i have got a better transmission is to use a late spec sti box (4, 5 or 6) with their 4.4 rear diff (because the sti 2 has a 4.1 diff) and a higher spec clutch. They have a better casing and stronger gears. The tuning way i have gone is HKS FMIC, Apexi Induction, 550cc injectors, obx equal length headers and uppipe, full decat, uprated fuel pump and reg. The ecu that controls my engine is a Microtech Ecu from Australia but another great ecu is the Apexi Power FC.
I will give you some more advice. The weak points on this engine are the coil packs (over the spark plug and are there instead of the distributor) which crack under the rubber boot with age, the transmission as i mentioned and if you have a cold start problem it is the coolant temp sensor.

So hope that has helped to see where you wanna go.
Stuart
Old 22 January 2005, 03:42 PM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stuart!

Well this one has been tuned then. It is running 1.17 bar of boost at which I am cutting a fuel cut (~5K rpm). I am running a walbro 255 pump but it seems that the ECU is controlling the fuel and not the system running out? I have a FCD on order which will hopefully stop the bogging.

Yes - we have already replaced 2 of the 4 coilpack ignitors b/c they were cracked eventhough the engine only has 30K miles on it.

I am looking towards putting in a DCCD tranny anyway but good to know about the tranny limits.

What numbers are you putting out now??
Old 22 January 2005, 06:56 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Stuart!

Well this one has been tuned then. It is running 1.17 bar of boost at which I am cutting a fuel cut (~5K rpm). I am running a walbro 255 pump but it seems that the ECU is controlling the fuel and not the system running out? I have a FCD on order which will hopefully stop the bogging.

Yes - we have already replaced 2 of the 4 coilpack ignitors b/c they were cracked eventhough the engine only has 30K miles on it.

I am looking towards putting in a DCCD tranny anyway but good to know about the tranny limits.

What numbers are you putting out now??
Fuel cut is set at 1.18bar on this age of car. You don't however need a FCD, just get a later MAP sensor and i can give you the wiring diagram. This will enable you to use a boost controller to raise it to whatever you want.

I am probably putting out near to 340bhp/300lbsft.

Stuart
Old 22 January 2005, 07:13 PM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

later map sensor? like ver4/5/6? or could I use a bug eye one?

I did not get the intake with the clip so maybe they had done what you are suggesting
Old 22 January 2005, 07:23 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Question

later map sensor? like ver4/5/6? or could I use a bug eye one?

I did not get the intake with the clip so maybe they had done what you are suggesting
Up to MY00 from MY98 as far as i'm aware. I am not too sure about the bug/blobeye at all. What do you mean intake with the clip?

Stuart
Old 22 January 2005, 07:42 PM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

ok i will hunt one of those down

The car was smashed on the front right so it was missing the airbox/intake - maybe they removed it?

This Apexi ECU - does it have preset stage settings or can it be tuned with some supplied software??
Old 23 January 2005, 11:38 AM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Smile

ok i will hunt one of those down

The car was smashed on the front right so it was missing the airbox/intake - maybe they removed it?

This Apexi ECU - does it have preset stage settings or can it be tuned with some supplied software??
Oh ok i get you. The airbox was probably removed as an aftermarket induction kit was put on. I would recommend you get hold of an airbox and put an uprated green or sti panel filter in it. You can run up to about 350bhp with this. I only changed mine to an induction kit as my HKS FMIC needed the space where the airbox usually sits for its pipework.

The Apexi Power FC has preset software but it does need tuned specific to your car and mods. The guy you should speak with on here about them is Andy F. Look for him in other posts...he is always about.

Hope that helps
Stuart
Old 24 January 2005, 01:37 AM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

cheers M8

here's a couple shots of the baby!

Old 24 January 2005, 10:52 AM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looks in really good condition. The only thing missing is the IC spray. Also i would get hold of another ic as that one looks like mine sued to...a lot of fins bent. MRT or APS do a really good one that fits where the original one is if you don't want to go to the bother of fitting a FMIC. I will post pics of mine this weekend when i have finished the front look of her with the mesh i am fitting over my FMIC.

Stuart
Old 24 January 2005, 12:30 PM
skbb
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by coulty
Looks in really good condition. The only thing missing is the IC spray. Also i would get hold of another ic as that one looks like mine sued to...a lot of fins bent. MRT or APS do a really good one that fits where the original one is if you don't want to go to the bother of fitting a FMIC. I will post pics of mine this weekend when i have finished the front look of her with the mesh i am fitting over my FMIC.

Stuart
What about static compression ratio I guess it is a 8.5:1? Any info about the sti ver 2 cylinder head? Is it push type valve with 7500 rpm limit or solid lifter shim under with 8000rpm limit similar spec to ver 3 sti onward? If there have the same spec as ver 3 sti then they must have sodium filled exhaust valve and hollow stem inlet valve which is good?. I ask this because there is an earlier version of sti engine with red paint inlet manifold in sitting in a workshop. Someone also told me that the earlier sti version has silver colour inlet manifold just like wrx and wrx ra engine. And I also need info on the block are there solid type block or the normal one?.
Old 24 January 2005, 12:57 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skbb
What about static compression ratio I guess it is a 8.5:1? Any info about the sti ver 2 cylinder head? Is it push type valve with 7500 rpm limit or solid lifter shim under with 8000rpm limit similar spec to ver 3 sti onward? If there have the same spec as ver 3 sti then they must have sodium filled exhaust valve and hollow stem inlet valve which is good?. I ask this because there is an earlier version of sti engine with red paint inlet manifold in sitting in a workshop. Someone also told me that the earlier sti version has silver colour inlet manifold just like wrx and wrx ra engine. And I also need info on the block are there solid type block or the normal one?.
Hi

Can't remember the comp. ratio but it is the 7500rpm rev limit engine. Unsure about the sodium filled exhaust valves. The sti 2 engine has the red inlet manifold but the sti 1 has the silver coloured like the wrx. The engine in the sti 2 is a closed deck block just like the ra.

Hope that helps
Stuart
Old 24 January 2005, 01:10 PM
2.5RS King
Scooby Regular

Yes - the TMIC is not in the best of conditions but for winter it should not matter here (it is -12 C today).....I will have to try and source one from MRT then.

The IC sprsy is setup and functional! Because my car had ABS I could not put the washer tank in the normal spot so I put in a windshield spray tank from a wagon and hooked up the IC spray to the rear pump
Old 24 January 2005, 01:37 PM
skbb
Scooby Newbie

Hi

Can't remember the comp. ratio but it is the 7500rpm rev limit engine. Unsure about the sodium filled exhaust valves. The sti 2 engine has the red inlet manifold but the sti 1 has the silver coloured like the wrx. The engine in the sti 2 is a closed deck block just like the ra.

Hope that helps
Stuart
Cheers, is the ver 2 sti head is good as ver 3 sti heads that allows higher rev limit 8000rpm?. Can you confirm what type of valve clearance adjustment is used for sti ver 2? Thanks.
Old 24 January 2005, 03:37 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skbb
Cheers, is the ver 2 sti head is good as ver 3 sti heads that allows higher rev limit 8000rpm?. Can you confirm what type of valve clearance adjustment is used for sti ver 2? Thanks.
It is the push type valves and the heads are not as good as the sti 3 ones that go for really good money.

Stuart
Old 24 January 2005, 03:43 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes - the TMIC is not in the best of conditions but for winter it should not matter here (it is -12 C today).....I will have to try and source one from MRT then.

The IC sprsy is setup and functional! Because my car had ABS I could not put the washer tank in the normal spot so I put in a windshield spray tank from a wagon and hooked up the IC spray to the rear pump
Thats great you have hooked up a IC spray.

I would take a look at AVO (same as MRT but cheaper) intercoolers. Here is the thread that has the one i was talking about: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=avo Looks good. I think you can source them from Aus very easily.

Hope that helps
Stuart
Old 24 January 2005, 11:40 PM
skbb555
Scooby Newbie

It is the push type valves and the heads are not as good as the sti 3 ones that go for really good money.

Stuart
Did you really check your sti 2 heads because I have checked with somone in Japan the sti 2 engine has 275ps but there is also some info I find here http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/engine.html which it says sti 1 is the push type valve and sti 2 solid type. Not really sure unless I see the sti 2 heads with my own eyes which the workshop wont allow me to open the heads inorder for me to confirm. Thanks