Notices

A'PEXi Power FC

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2005, 10:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A'PEXi Power FC

What sort of power and torque figures might I achieve using an A'PEXi Power FC ECU on a 220PS TD04 equiped JDM 'Wagon? The cars currently standard although I propose to fit an H&S rear box and possibly an up/down pipe de-cat.

Does the A'PEXi ECU respond to det. more quickly than the Subaru ECU, which is ****e?

Id been considering a ScoobyECU but even when you can get one; theyre not intended for TD04 equipped vehicles and the **** poor detonation detection remains.....

Simon
Old 15 January 2005, 10:14 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Apexi PFC has no ignition retard... so if the car is mapped and dets it will continue to do so until the map is corrected or the engine ****s itself. So basically the OEM ecu responds to det better .

For the money i wouldn't consider another ecu other than the Apexi, i find it fairly user friendly and easy to map with.......

Tony.
Old 15 January 2005, 10:22 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I take it you're talking about <96 Wagons?

Firstly theres only 1 cat on the car - in the downpipe.

I think it depends on how far you want to go boost wise whether the Apexi is VFM. If you want to stay within fuel cut then a Dawes and a knocklink is the way to go economically.

Midway between that and the Apexi is a custom ScoobyECU, I know Scoobyclinic can help there.

In terms of detecting knock, the Apexi is only as good as the sensor - I think it uses the OE one doesn't it??
Old 15 January 2005, 10:29 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Jay... the Apexi does use the OEM sensor and will display the level of noise it detects. However it will NOT take any action, it does not have an ignition retard map.

Tony.
Old 15 January 2005, 10:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Jay; I am and Im embarassed. Ive imported several and I run one and Id never paid any attention to the cat/s that are fitted.

Thanks for that Tony. I was guessing that itd make an honest 250 Bhp, perhaps a little more; but I was hoping for better detonation reaction too.

Simon
Old 15 January 2005, 10:59 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

If the car is mapped properly the absence of any ignition retard shouldn't make a whole lot of difference..... i've got a saftey margin i've mapped into mine and i add octane booster too (car mapped on just Optimax) to get a bit more safety.

Tony.
Old 15 January 2005, 11:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Tony, I hear what you're saying, what I meant is the Apexi detects knock using the same sensor as the OE ECU, hence is no better or worse in that respect. The fact that it doesn't do anything about the detected knock is true also! At least it throws the check engine light I suppose.

Trending Topics

Old 16 January 2005, 12:11 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that the problem was that the standard ECU was extremely slow to react; rather than that the standard sensor was poor?

Simon
Old 16 January 2005, 10:06 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i always thought that once the car was mapped properly to the mods on the car , the onslought of det was drastically reduced the only time i ever see activity on mine is when ive bounced it off the limiter by mistake
Old 16 January 2005, 11:11 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevebt
i always thought that once the car was mapped properly to the mods on the car , the onslought of det was drastically reduced the only time i ever see activity on mine is when ive bounced it off the limiter by mistake
Same here, but that isn't det as such....it's just the sensor picking up the noise of the limiter.
Old 16 January 2005, 02:05 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I was under the impression that the problem was that the standard ECU was extremely slow to react; rather than that the standard sensor was poor?

Simon
Agree with that... i don't have a problem with the standard sensor or it's location. Nobody says there is a problem with the Bosch knocklink sensor.... is there much of a difference

Tony.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:43 PM
beryllium
Scooby Regular

the fc commander can display knock range.
but the better way is to add a safegard that deals with knock.
that's what i did
Old 16 January 2005, 11:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

How did you achieve that, Beryllium??
Old 17 January 2005, 07:49 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

By buying a 'Safeguard' . This is a piece of equipment not a term . They do several units and each looks pretty impressive.... forget the model no. of the most approriate one for the subaru (but this also depends on the MY).

Tony.