Which hose to cut for vacuum gauge in N/A

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2004, 12:37 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which hose to cut for vacuum gauge in N/A

Hi All

Planning on plumbing some gauges into my GL tomorrow, one of which is vacuum pressure which will look a bit like a boost gauge and make me feel less inadequate for being turboless

Can anyone tell me if I've highlighted the right hose to put a T-piece into? The engine is a UK MY95 1.6GL.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 22 January 2005, 11:52 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

My gauge installation has been delayed as my oil temp sender is faulty. Could still do with knowing which hose to cut for my vacuum gauge if anyone knows..?
Old 22 January 2005, 04:25 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Fitted a boost gauge to my Turbo and used the same pipe as you have highlighted. Try and join it to the manifold first with a very short piece of pipe and T piece then add the original pipe onto other side of the T adaptor. ( this way you can always remove it later ) An initial check would be to disconnect the pipe when the engine is running and check it is drawing in air.
Old 22 January 2005, 08:05 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply, I'll give that a shot. Good plan re using a new bit of short pipe, simple idea but I hadn't thought of it!
Old 31 January 2005, 10:23 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Well I went ahead and used the hose shown above, but the vacuum gauge is not behaving as I expected. I believe the gauge is meant to hold a position of around 17in.Hg at idle, which increases with applied throttle, or goes below 17 on over-run. What that gauge is actually doing, is holding just above 0in.Hg at idle, increasing up to around 10in.Hg with increasing applied throttle, but then snapping back to 0 at around half throttle, it stays at 0 up to WOT. However, if the car is in neutral the gauge does not snap down to 0 under heavy throttle and will continue to show an increase in vacuum proportional to the throttle applied.

Have I gone into the wrong hose? Fortunately I used a short bit of hose to the T piece as suggested above, so the original hose hasn't been cut. There is a different hose lower down than the one I highlighted above, I can't remember it any more specifically than that so will have to have a look in daylight. Anyone have any suggestions as to what's wrong in the mean time though?

Cheers,

Ben