Notices

URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 05:02 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

This morning i jumped in my scooby and was in a hell of a rush as was 30 minutes late for work , put the key in the ignition and crank....broke the ****er in the ignition barrell.....i then pincked myself to see if i was haveing a nightmare but i was awake

Had to call the boss and tell her i broke my baby and could not make it in! Tried for several hours to take the piece out useing pliers, tweasers, pins etc etc......i have now poped to my local scooby breaker and picked up a new ignition lock with key £80 ....but i cant get the old one off

The guy at the brakers was telling me about haveing to chisel at a bolt or something but surely there must be a easier way??? please help as i need to go work tommorow and wont get no sleep

ITS A GOOD DAY TO CAR
Old 22 November 2004, 06:03 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

ok....when the ignition unit is fitted the 2 bolts that hold it around the column are "snap off" bolts.....for security the heads that you put your socket onto to tighten snap off at a certain torque....leaving the rest of it inplace......this is so any 1 cant just jump in , rip off shroud & undo the ignition to take steering lock off.

so....you can either use a dremel (cut off disc) or hacksaw , etc,etc......you have to chop through the bracket to get it off.

also.....your going to have to get your new key programmed into the immobilizer .

scott
Old 22 November 2004, 06:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a tricky one.
I have heard of some locksmiths who have a hardened steel wire who can slip it over the form of the key and to the tip enabling the broken blade to be withdrawn with no damage.
Try Yellow Pages for a locksnith who is on 'call-out'; they all are for $$$$, its their trade.
Other than that its butchery. The bolts fixing the steering column casting/lock/dog pin is bolted to the column via bolts with shear heads on them, that is the heads of the bolts are designed to twist off on assembly at Subaru.
Hence dril, drilllll, drillllllllllll until off. Looking at the spare you have will show where the bolts go. You can always ask them how they got it off! use standard bolts to fix back.

Good luck (I've had to do the same job on my 911!)

Last edited by 911; 22 November 2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 22 November 2004, 06:12 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

just another point ........dont try and drill/cut the bolts themselves ......the angle of them dissallows this anyway ........you need to drill/cut the bracket ......beleive it or not ....its really easy ....the bracket is just like cast alloy ....you will be through it in a couple of minutes......you can just cut through 1 side & cut 1/2 way through the other .....then bend it up and it will snap the 1/2 cut 1 .

i`ve done loads on scoobys.......

you can just replace the barrell & key you know.
Old 22 November 2004, 06:15 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

if you need step by step instructions on just replacing the barrell & key let me know .....as there is a curtain procedure ....

scott
Old 22 November 2004, 07:51 PM
vava voom
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ive just cut my finger

I knew the scoobynet family would never let me down!!! Ill grab a plaster and get the hack saw to chop away!!!