Notices

STI7/8 intercooler on a MY99 UK classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 04:15 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI7/8 intercooler on a MY99 UK classic ?

Anyone done this is ? is it a straight swap, how much work involved ?.

The cooler is bigger so I guess ideally for optimum results a longer scoop would be good, but what else needs to be done ?.
Old 22 November 2004, 05:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

got it done on mine , the clutch resevoir needs to be taken off then shorten it down about 15mm, you also need the left hand bracket as we look into the car from an sti8 and you need to do some serious hammering to your right hand bracket i would advise getting proper brackets made as this method does not hold the intercooler solid so when there is a little movement it can cause the metal airflow pipes to hit off the metal edge on the bulk head , you will also need a smaco y piece from your car or a longer 90 degree elbow if you are fitting the metal y piece from the sti8
Old 22 November 2004, 05:19 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
got it done on mine , the clutch resevoir needs to be taken off then shorten it down about 15mm, you also need the left hand bracket as we look into the car from an sti8 and you need to do some serious hammering to your right hand bracket i would advise getting proper brackets made as this method does not hold the intercooler solid so when there is a little movement it can cause the metal airflow pipes to hit off the metal edge on the bulk head , you will also need a smaco y piece from your car or a longer 90 degree elbow if you are fitting the metal y piece from the sti8
Thanks Steve, Did you modify your scoop. ?. If so did you have to cut bigger hole in bonnet etc.
Old 22 November 2004, 05:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i put an sti8 scoop on and im getting an under tray made to fit, if you fit the sti8 intercooler you will have to take your under tray off as it will cover half the intercooler, plus its that much bigger i think the rubber from the undertray will hit the fins
Old 22 November 2004, 08:41 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Although bigger, I always wondered whether removing the rubber from the under tray will introduce warm/hot air from the engine bay, and counteract any benefit from a larger I/C. I guess with some careful modifications, you could create the same affect as the original. A lot of messing about but probably better than a APS as you have a bigger surface area.

Although APS is double core, the second core won't be as affective as the first core due the the air warming as it passes the first core.