Notices

Changing to a jr panel filter (remap or not)

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2004, 11:12 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to a jr panel filter (remap or not)

I am changing my standard panel filter for a jr performance panel filter. The car already has 1 of the cats removed and has been superchipped, fueling is spot on at the moment and the car is running superbly 270bhp, 18psi boost, no det at all, (tested last tuesday) will the standard ecu be able to handle the extra fueling needed or do I need to go down the full remap route. Will it make much difference power wise, anyone got any solid figures on what a panel replacement can give.
Old 21 November 2004, 11:13 PM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Anybody ?
Old 21 November 2004, 11:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have thought the filter would require any remapping, got one on my otherwise standard WRX PPP and TBH I can't tell if it's gained anything Most you'll ever get from a filter is 8-10 bhp anyway on a near standard car.

One thing I may consider is a remap to the original ecu to get rid of the Superchips thing. They aren't very well respected on here, lots of stories of blown engines etc. I'm no expert, but I hear they are the most crude and simple option for a big but unsafe power increase, although I am prepared to be corrected. Just what I've gathered by reading posts.
Old 22 November 2004, 12:50 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Ive also read bad things about superchips, Ive had 3 turbo'd cars in the past, all superchipped and never had a problem, I think the main problem with a superchip is its so easy to adjust the boost level yourself and people get sillly with the amount of boost they are running, another downside is that it removes the boost cut safety features from the ecu so you have to keep an eye on your boost level .I was told this by the fitter the first time I ever had a car superchipped

"Ill set it up so its running correctly, first thing you need to do is fit a boost gauge to keep an eye on the boost level, once Ive set it up dont touch it ,if you start to play with the boost level you will blow your engine or turbo"

Ive stuck to this advice for the past 10 yrs and have never had a problem.

My main concern was that with 1 cat already missing and the boost level cranked up a bit the standard ecu may not be able to supply enough fuel to accomodate the extra air flow through the replacement filter, I dont want to mess up the fueling as its spot on at the moment.
Old 22 November 2004, 01:11 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

The panel filter will make very little difference unless the old one is completely clogged up, definitely not enough to require a re-map if the fuelling is right at the moment. (by most people's views, you are likely to get no more than 1 or 2bhp anyway)

The "superchip" as you say isn't liked much around here. IIRC they are not a "chip" at all, as you kind of hinted, it's a manual boost control valve, and a fuel cut remover. As you say, adjust them (or if they drift out of adjustment etc), they can blow engines. To fit a dawes device and a fuel cut remover can be done for more like £200 and does exactly the same thing.

If you have a remap done, then IMHO you shuld take some or all of the "superchip" off. The ECU can be programmed to cut fuel at raised boost levels - i.e. give you the protection back. If can also control the boost to whatever level you programme it, but some people do prefer the response of the manual valves (like you have fitted as part of the chip). Having a remapped ECU alters the fuelling, timing etc, and is generally a much more sophisticated / well sorted solution than a superchip, IMHO
Old 22 November 2004, 01:29 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

So what filter will give me good gains, most of the filters I've seen are under the bonnet cone types, as we all know it isnt a good idea to pull hot air from under the bonnet into the engine, a cold air induction kit would be best but which one and where from. Would I need a remap if i fitted a cold air induction kit. none of my previous cars have needed any adjustment to the fueling after such mods, does the ecu in the scoob not have as much to play with as other cars.
Old 22 November 2004, 02:24 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From personal experience I know that a K+N panel filter works well and is cost effective. On its own, a replacement panel filter will not affect your existing AFRs enough to warrant a re-map and as you state yourself, there is the advantage of ensuring your engine continues to breath cold air.
A Super Chip PROPERLY fitted is not a problem and it sounds like yours was done by someone with lots of knowledge and experience as he gave very good advice. It is a fairly basic mod for someone that is looking a modest, reliable power hike without the need for more detailed and expensive work.
In my case, a 3" exhaust with a cat in the downpipe, a K+N cone induction system, importantly breathing cold air from my own home made system and a Super Chip raised power from around 220bhp to a very honest and reliable 250 bhp 260ft/lbs. Fuel economy improved and the car was noticably quicker and nicer to drive.