Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 01:49 PM
knowlzy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!! Mechanics dont know sh*t

Hi guys!
Need some help
started my 93 wrx yest morn! it ran for a rew seconds fine then just suddenly died! now it turns over but nothing! A mechanic came out n checked the spark n that was fine! he said it was prob the carb!?! He looked very confused when i said it didnt have a carb LOL! anyway i got a feeling it might be the fuel but cant find the pump! ant ideas on going about testing fuel pump? any help would be greatly appreciated
Knowlzy
Old 20 November 2004, 07:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

fuel pump in fuel tank...

easy way to check, turn on ignition and listen for fuel pump whine...

no whine no pump.. (its about 2 secs max) no fuel.... check the fuse and the relay....

also check crank sensor and cam sensor... neither of these working will tell the ecu not to fire and run the pump...

if you have the initial 2 sec whine, its not fuel pump... its sensor... if you dont have the whine its fp

Mart
Old 20 November 2004, 07:58 PM
catsteve
Scooby Regular

should be able to check ecu fault codes for errors with the sensors
Old 20 November 2004, 09:05 PM
raywrx
Scooby Regular

on the passenger side under the bonnet near bulkhead take petrol line feed off turn over engine see if it comes out

the wine is the fuel regulator not the pump i think
Old 20 November 2004, 09:40 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!

http://www.psi3.co.uk/downloads/faultcodes.pdf

Check here for the fault codes. Under the dash on the the drivers side you should find a black connector that is disconnected. If you connect this & turn on the ignition (but don't start the car) the check engine light should flash if there are any problems. Count the long flashes & then the short ones to get the fault code numbers i.e. 3 long & 1 short = 31 = Throttle position sensor.

My guess is you'll get an 11 which will be the crankshaft position sensor. This'll set you back £99 + VAT new from Subaru but will make your car a heck of a lot healthier .

If it's not that then post up what code (or codes) you get & we'll see if we can help

Cheers

MAFFA

p.s. This place has a diagram with the location of most of the sensors http://www.derekcarswell.pwp.blueyon...ginefaults.htm
Old 22 November 2004, 07:49 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by knowlzy
Hi guys!
Need some help
started my 93 wrx yest morn! it ran for a rew seconds fine then just suddenly died! now it turns over but nothing! A mechanic came out n checked the spark n that was fine! he said it was prob the carb!?! He looked very confused when i said it didnt have a carb LOL! anyway i got a feeling it might be the fuel but cant find the pump! ant ideas on going about testing fuel pump? any help would be greatly appreciated
Knowlzy

I had a similar problem. To cut a long story short, i fitted a new Walbro fuel pump, it turned out to be a bad connection on the earth to chassis wire!
Front of luggage area, drivers side. Under the carpet.
Remove access hatch and the wires and fuel pump cover are there.
Something that wouldve taken me 10 mins to fix (if I'd tested it correctly) ended up costing me over £200!

My advice, get a reputable auto spark to check it.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:34 PM
knowlzy
Scooby Newbie

Wkd!!! Sorted cheers for yr help guys !! saved me bout 400 notes!!
i sorted it myself in the end! With yr help of course
I first took a reading from the back of the fuel pump wires! it was reading 12v for bout 2 seconds, fine! I then took the pump out and tested it on a battery charger! it worked fine! I couldnt hear the fuel pump wkin as i didnt know what it sounded like as i aint noticed it before i then took the lines off one by one from the fuel filter(mayb) under the bonnet and turned the car over! No fuel! then i left the main hose off and short wired the fuel pump resulting in fuel going all over my engine! when i connected it all back up it still didnt work!!??!! there was power going to it but it wasnt working so i figured it must be the connection! so when i redid the connection i was well pissed when it still didnt work! yet when i crossed wired it direct to the battery with a seperate wire it worked fine!!! a m8 rekons it was something to do with the ampage!!! both currents read 12v's but the direct feed delivered a higher ampage! so that was the prob!!! i hope if anybody has a similar problem this could help them out!!
Once again cheers guys
Knowlzy
Old 23 November 2004, 10:11 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

knowlzy,
sounds like you have this sorted now, but did you check the connector under the back seat?
The fuel pump went on my 93 WRX the other week. On doing some research, I read that the black connector under the rear seat (on the drivers side) can sometimes melt! This leaves a bad connection, which can provide 12V at the pump, but is insufficient to allow the required current to flow.

Just a thought.....
Old 24 November 2004, 03:54 PM
knowlzy
Scooby Newbie

no i didnt! but will do
Will let u know! Cheers dude
Old 27 November 2004, 06:41 PM
DEKA
Scooby Regular

Tried to start my 93 WRX this morning it fired limply then nothing
Tried it again about 10mins ago and still nothing
Done an ecu check and there are no faults
Listened for the 2 sec whine when the ignition is turned and that seems okay
Car has been off the road for a few months now but has been started on a regular basis
It hasnt been out for a run for about 5 weeks
Over the last few weeks it has been harder to start and running a little ruff until its warmed up
Could this be down to the petrol been sitting in the tank for that long????
DEKA