Notices

sti type r buying guide

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2004, 07:19 PM
flat 4 REVOLUTION
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sti type r buying guide

hello people .any thread there with a good buying guide for a 2 door sti's. there are many variations,what would you consider the best choise 2 door sti. and any good site for sourcing tunning goodies for them??????????onder2:
Old 14 November 2004, 07:26 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flat 4 REVOLUTION
hello people .any thread there with a good buying guide for a 2 door sti's. there are many variations,what would you consider the best choise 2 door sti. and any good site for sourcing tunning goodies for them??????????onder2:
I just bought one mate. What you wanna know?
Old 14 November 2004, 08:09 PM
flat 4 REVOLUTION
Scooby Newbie

your general impressions of the car???????why did you choose one???? what did you look for when buying it?????
Old 14 November 2004, 08:19 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Fairly easy really all 2 doors are either WRX Type R's, Wrx STi Type R's or 22b's
Some are V limited which includes different trim and a roof vent, all should have DCCD.
Old 14 November 2004, 08:32 PM
flat 4 REVOLUTION
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by richiewong
Fairly easy really all 2 doors are either WRX Type R's, Wrx STi Type R's or 22b's
Some are V limited which includes different trim and a roof vent, all should have DCCD.
what are the main things to look out for when buying one?????????
Old 14 November 2004, 09:34 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Here's mine:

http://usera.imagecave.com/ewanph/

Its a late'99 STi Type-R V5.
Because Type-Rs are all imports and dont come with service books, you have to inspect them fairly closely. Check for the usual signs of accident damage, mis-aligned body panels, etc. Also check that the mileage is genuine, which is virtually impossible with imports, but check for instance if the gearstick and steering wheel are worn and if the seats are saggy, indicating high mileage.
Also find out if the car has been re-mapped to accept UK fuel and if it is undersealed (Jap cars generally arent). It should have a rear fog light bolted on and have a re-modelled fuel filler neck to pass UK regulations, as well as being re-calibrated into mph on the speedo. Also find out if it has been de-restrictred as Jap cars are restricted to 120mph.
I'm not up to speed on the mechanical issues. I'm sure there's other people on here that could better advise you on the ins and outs. On this site, go to Members Gallery and then the Type-R corner for more advice.

I previously owned a '99 UK Turbo 2000 which I loved, but the STi is like a totally different car. It is far faster and looks alot nicer in the 2 Door Type-R configuration. It is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Hope that helps a little bit mate.