Notices

ECU Reset problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2004, 01:08 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Reset problem

Wonder if anyone could help with the following: I recently helped a friend who has a 96 WRX clean out the boost solenoids, which involved an ECU reset to open/shut the valves..

I followed the same procedure as I used for my UK car (98) as per: http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....htm#_ECU_Reset

However, now his ECU check light is constantly switched on, and no amount of resets (even tried disconecting the battery) will shift it.. The car also wont rev passed 5000rpm..

Anyone have any ideas??

Cheers

Chris
Old 10 November 2004, 02:33 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

To clean the wastegate solenoid, you only need to connect the green connectors to initiate ECU diagnostic mode...

As to why the CEL has stayed on, you might have disturbed something whilst cleaning out the solenoid. If you connect just the black connectors, the CEL should flash the relevant error code, which should indicate which sensor has upset it.

You say it won't rev past 5000rpm. What does it drive like? Does it feel like the boost has halved? Could be in limp home mode. And resetting the ECU makes no difference? Definitely sounds like a sensor has been disturbed/disconnected. Failing sensors you can usually get round by resetting. Failed or disconnected sensors obviously don't allow you that luxury! Get those blacks connected to find the error code...
Old 11 November 2004, 09:56 AM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help, will have to check for any error codes..

Not sure about the limp-home mode, Ive not been out in it, but from what I gather the car is achieving full boost...

Regards

Chris

Originally Posted by The_Judge
To clean the wastegate solenoid, you only need to connect the green connectors to initiate ECU diagnostic mode...

As to why the CEL has stayed on, you might have disturbed something whilst cleaning out the solenoid. If you connect just the black connectors, the CEL should flash the relevant error code, which should indicate which sensor has upset it.

You say it won't rev past 5000rpm. What does it drive like? Does it feel like the boost has halved? Could be in limp home mode. And resetting the ECU makes no difference? Definitely sounds like a sensor has been disturbed/disconnected. Failing sensors you can usually get round by resetting. Failed or disconnected sensors obviously don't allow you that luxury! Get those blacks connected to find the error code...