Temporary flashing CEL ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2004, 10:37 AM
Nice Beaver
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Temporary flashing CEL ?

I need a bit of advice please anyone

I have a MY01 WRX Bugeye, its been tek 3'd and has a full de-cat.

Last night as i was coming down the slip onto the motorway i suddenly got a flashing CEL. It was a perfectly timed flash (a little bit slower than an indicator light) I *think* it flashed around 6 times but cant be sure.

Thje car was at operating temp (around 90 deg oil) i was on full boost 1.3 bar and egt was not abnormal and was around 600 deg steadily rising.

The throttle wasn't wide open but it was a spirited run down the slip. As i got to the bottom of the slip onto the motorway the CEL started

I did go and check with a mate on Delta dash but no error codes were shown albeit the delta dash probably wouldn't of picked up *all* the errors that a bugeye could / would give out as it is i *think* an early version.

Oh yes, my fuel warning light had come on around 10 miles before the CEL (not sure that that was anything to do with it)

Incidentally it has not happened since but then i have only covered another 30 miles since it happened.

Help please
Old 22 October 2004, 10:43 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly wouldn't accelerate hard when the fuel light is illuminated. I always try and keep at least 1/4 tank of petrol in at all times. Fuel surge is said to be a problem on scoobs with small amounts of petrol in the tank but I don't know how this relates to road cars instead of track cars.
Old 22 October 2004, 11:10 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Knock...knock knock, do you know what this is?
Probably this is your problem!
JIM
Old 22 October 2004, 11:44 AM
Nice Beaver
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guy's

Phil,

Good point i'd never of thought of that. I am a bit of a pain when it comes to filling up. I normally fill up in the morning when its colder (fuel more dense) and i dont really fill over half way as why should i carry all that extra weight in fuel around with me and i'm a firm believer that Optimax loses its potenty after a couple of days

Jim

I'm not too sure about that, why didnt the delta dash pick up the det error code?

BTW It is a UK WRX and mapped for optimax
Old 22 October 2004, 05:06 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

I've had this before on an MY01. 1st time it turned out to be a faulty neutral switch and the 2nd & 3rd time it turned out to be a misfire detected on cylinder 3

Mark.
Old 22 October 2004, 10:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Jim.. knock probably due to reduction in fuel supply slightly..

no idea why not showing on the delta dash though.. perhaps it cleared itself as I presume you have filled up since and does a few miles.. the older cars only remove the error codes when the ecu is reset (battery disconnected etc) not sure on the newer ones though.
Old 22 October 2004, 10:26 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a bugeye with a Tek3 and AFAIK the ECU does not flash the CEL or store codes for Knock sensor activity.

Try plugging in a select monitor (my friendly scooby dealer does not charge) and look for stored codes.

The TeK 3 would have mapped out the codes for the decat but the ECU will still recognise misfires and Cam position sensor errors.

Cheers

Midlife.....