Notices

B4 Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2004, 11:35 PM
flat 4 REVOLUTION
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question B4 Legacy

Could someone please give me a general run down on the B4 Legacy as ive my heart set on buying one. If someone that owns one could give me there impressions of the beast?????
What kind of engine are they equiped with???????and what should a sumone look for when buying one???????? p.s All comments more than welcome........
Old 22 October 2004, 02:04 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

yahoo groups>legacyb4 is a good place to find a fair few owners, and lotsa knowledge.

On the car:
The newest verions are single turbo, twinscroll in JDM land. Very quick, and very good handling. Still EJ20, just very much updated with AVCS on both in and out cams, new IC/intake manifold layout, etc, etc. Great interior, and the list goes on...

Older versions are EJ20s, too, but twinturbo (sequential), which were/are harder to tune well. The benefit of the TT set up was/is having plenty of punch lower down to cover the extra weight of the bigger car. The B4 RSK also got Bilstein dampers and a sus tune that has a very good ride/perf balance if you prefer a bit more comfort with your scooby pace. 280ps on the manuals makes for a pretty quick motor if you know how ot use it

Some people struggle with the gap between the turbos, fondly referred to as the Valley of Death (VoD). Once you learn how to drive around it, it usually becomes less of an issue for most owners IMHO.

They are more Q in that they don't stand out, and at least so far have not seemed to attract too much of the sort of attention that gets scary. At the sametime, while they are pretty quick, they are generally not "that" fast like a WRX can be.

As for what to look for, all the usual scooby issues (they share a lot of stuff!).

HTH
Old 22 October 2004, 03:30 PM
B4 Boy (at work!)
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Best car we've ever owned...So Far!!!

Took us 6 months to find a good one, we've had it for over 2 years now with very low maintainance costs.
my points are:

MPG some report fairly reasonable MPG but its normally between 19-21mpg (i'm told thats all down to driving style!)

Must use SUL petrol (Optimax as a rule) as the car is mapped to run on Japanese fuel which I believe is 100ron Optimax is about 98ron. We also use NF to boost the octane to get it as close to 100ron as poss.

Insurance is becoming a pain although L&V and Tescos both cover the B4 RSK.

Subaru UK will not assist in locating of parts even though most panels and glass from a UK legacy will fit (glass has a different tint than jap models)

Now it's fitted....GET A H&S Exhaust!!! (should have got one when we bought it!) massive improvement!

I've never found the VOD to be much of a problem but as Anton said you learn how to adjust your driving style! IMO go for it or at least get a drive of one comfort and performance with awd at a reasonable price and an excellent Q car!

Matt
Old 22 October 2004, 06:39 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want point and shoot, go with the Impreza.

Though if you want something a bit more grown up, with space and all the goodies, get a Legacy.

May not be as explosive as the Impreza, but wind the secondary up and she's certainly no slouch.

Scares the crap out of other car drivers, mainly due it's low key styling (especially wagons).

Mark
UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register