Erratic Coolant Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 11:59 AM
AndyWRX1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic Coolant Temperature

What is going on here.

sequence of events is as follows, I could do with some advice on whether I have a problem and what to do about it.

1. Few days ago the SECS gives an alarm "Low battery voltage", I exit out of the ALARM screen and check BV which is at 13.4V so no problem
2. 5 minute later I notice it is giving a 'high coolant temp' alarm, which i check and its ok.
Right that is the background but may be irrelevent.

YESTERDAY
1. Had the bonnet up with gf in driver seat holding revs at 3.5k to 4k because I was using booster cables to start my Caterham. I noticed puffs of steam coming out of the radiator when she over did the throttle. I thought at the time that didn't seem right because I thought it was a sealed system and steam meant that over time it would run out of water, but I was more worried about getting the other car started so did nothing.

2 THIS MORNING - I drove g/f to station and when I got back to the flat the SECS is flashing high coolant temp again and I check it and, right enough it was 103. I dont know if the fans were going or not but I turned the engine off and the secs told me it was a 9 minute journey. So how the hell did the car go from cold to 103 in 9 minutes (without ever going on boost because the engine was cold). Most of those 9 minutes were in traffic btw.
3. I topped up the resevoir with a litre of water (so it is now above the Full marker!) before driving to a meeting and back total of 1hr driving and the temp was very erratic but never rose to anything like 103. In steady 30 mph the temp dropped to 81 (which is lower than usual) and in slow and stationary it rose to low to mid nineties. I know this is usual operating temp but it felt like it was rising and falling much quicker than usual (but this could be because I was watching it)
4. when I got home I left it to idle with the bonnet up and the fans kicked in
at 96 and off again mid 80s.

I am thinking possible failure of - water pump, temp sender, shortage of coolant in system, air trap in system.

So, questions
1. How did I get to 103 without fans doing their stuff
2. should I put Radweld in to radiator to stop steam blowing out
3. having topped up with 1litre water should I drain enough space for more antifreeze?
4. Does antifreeze stabilize the temperature, ie slower to rise and slower to cool than neat water.
5. What do you think is wrong?????
Any advice

Thanks to everyone in advance.

cheers
Andy
Old 18 October 2004, 03:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might find that you need to top it up more than once due to air locks to get the system totally full..

check the plastic end tanks of the radiator as they crack.

also check all connections and jubilee's are tight.. they use the clip and release ones as standard, the ones you can tighten are better.

Have used Barrs Leaks to stop leaks in other cars but not in a Scooby so not sure if it is okay to use or not.
Old 18 October 2004, 03:44 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

ps: when you top it up this time add a little bit of anti-freeze..
water would be suficent to stabilise the temp, anti-freeze just stops in freezing and cleans etc..
Old 18 October 2004, 04:56 PM
AndyWRX1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
ps: when you top it up this time add a little bit of anti-freeze..
water would be suficent to stabilise the temp, anti-freeze just stops in freezing and cleans etc..

Thanks,I'll put some antifreeze in, as you suggested.
Old 18 October 2004, 11:09 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Andy

I have some problems with my MY02 WRX and the water temps the SECS happens to display.

The first time it happened on the way to newcastle on the A69 I nearly wet myself as the SECS temp was 113 degrees. AAARRGH !

Short stop in a layby to check I still had David API on the Mobile phone number list and to listen to the fans kick in... no fans ?

I turned the engine off for a couple of mins and started again, waited for the temp to get to 98 (where I set the SECS alarm) and at 97 the fans kick in and the temps drop.

It happened doodling around town a few weeks ago !!

I'm not sure if the SECS sees spurious transients from the temp sender without smoothing them out ???

I also had a few leaks, this time from the water pipe joining the turbo near the header tank, coolant evaporated due to the heat and was not obvious !! Sorted for free by a vigialant employee of my local Scooby Dealer

Midlife..

Does your SECS have a gloss black background ??