what is best ecu upgrade for 94wrx?
is a boost controller a better option?
have all the general mods on car just be good to get the best out of them
Old 13 October 2004, 10:26 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A good boost controller is the Apexi AVC0R, about the best on the market so I heard, search and read up on them! There are others but notwith so many features.
Cheaper is a simpler 1 or 2 stage boost setting controller,

ECU upgrade depends on what you want to achieve and what you have to spend.
These seem to range from £500 to over £2000 ... and will need mapping!

The Power FC is very good, got one on the way myself, the Link is popular, then there are the higher end units like Motec, Gemz, Autronic, which give more features again but cost ...

To make best use of your mods - what are they ? - a mappable ECU is best.
The ScoobyECU type upgrade seems hard to get hold of now, a VOS chip or similar is around but don't know much about them.

Hope that helps

Neil
Old 13 October 2004, 11:27 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very cheap upgrade would be a Z4, but that won't give you much more than you have already, perhaps 20bhp. these go for about 150 second hand.

You can still get the scoobyecu/vos chip type board that plugs straight into your ECU and get that mapped the way you want it. I just did it and it was 490 including a basic mapping session. David at API has a mate that does it.

VOS chip is cheaper at about 150 but that price does not include a mapping session, just gives you a generic map, which is a bit risky, but ok if you have all the gauges etc.
Old 13 October 2004, 11:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of people were offering custom ScoobyECU mapping sessions, Pavlo was one in the scoobyshop for about £250 ( after you had the bopard and chips ). I think Pat could do it too, not sure of price tho.

Not sure if still available but worth a look. A std generic chip is OK to improve some aspects of performance but not ideal if you have different mods, engine characteristics etc. to the car the chip was designed on.
Old 14 October 2004, 09:36 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello

I just had a GEMS ECU fitted to my 93 WRX and mapped by Steve Simspon.

Total Cost £1400.00, Now this does seems a lot, but after looking at other options. Apexi are cheaper for the unit, but by the time I had paid for mappers travelling time etc, it was starting to get close to the Gems cost, plus Mapper was very Busy...

I met Steve @ G-Force motorsport in Aylesbury, Nr Oxford...

Had the car mapped to give More boost mid range and then tailing of towards the redline..... Using Existing 3 port boost solenoid..

Car is so much quicker and aggresive now 343 BHP 340Lb Torque... With VF34 Turbo, FMIC , Full decat system, Uprated Fuel pump etc.

Steve also met me again a month after initial mapping to do a few little tweeks of which he did not charge as all part of getting it perfect.

With a Proper ECU upgrade you have the benifit of easily mapping it again when you add more mods...

You have to think about things like, Once you go New boost controller, then ECU (scooby ECU etc) , then a remap , then this then that, it can start to add up, So why not go the full blown ECU route first of... You wont be dissapointed.... Oh yeh with the Gems you get anti-lag which is very good, Lots of pops and bangs and Jet flames to boot....

I had worked it out for me to do Seperate boost controller, then Half way ECU upgrade, fitting etc etc, was going to come to £900 ish.... Glad I spent the Extra £500 I tell you.

Take your time making this decision mate... Lots of options out there and Andy F who does Apexi ECUs does have a very good reputation..

Personally I would have to recommend Steve Simpson who was friendly, Professional and in my mind did a very good job on the mapping, explained what he was doing to me every step of the way... And re-mapping in the future isnt that expensive...

Rob
Old 14 October 2004, 11:51 AM
BlackWrxScooby
Scooby Regular

maybe someone will be able to tell you the code for this ECU because scoobyclinic put me a secondhand STI Ver 2 ecu in my 93WRX and the difference was amazing. only £150 - £200. will make a big difference to what you having at the moment