Notices

Coolant loss - what should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 05:36 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolant loss - what should I check?

Hi

My 98 UK turbo (64k miles) has been slowly losing coolant. Only noticeable by steam rising from the front of the engine after I've been thrashing it.

I've visually checked the hose connections and rad for signs of leakage but nothing is obvious. The engine oil and coolant are normal colour so I don't think the head gasket is leaking.

I did notice a "splash" of coolant near the front offside headlamp, which led me to believe that a hose was being stressed under load, but that doesn't explain steam coming from the sump area....

So, before I go and fit a set of Samco hoses, what else should I check?

Thanks
Old 08 October 2004, 05:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the expansion tank on the nearside filling up and overflowing? If so suspect the headgaskets or a cracked head.
Old 08 October 2004, 06:15 PM
Scooby Regular

John is dead right, ....been there.
First though, if the header tank is leaking coolant can drain down into the sheilds around the exhaust manifold. During/after a good blast (puts the system under pressure) the coolant will steam off from just the area you say.
I had this while I was messing with the cooling system trying to find my leak...turned out to be the head gaskets...

Good luck! 911
Old 09 October 2004, 09:36 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
John is dead right, ....been there.
First though, if the header tank is leaking coolant can drain down into the sheilds around the exhaust manifold. During/after a good blast (puts the system under pressure) the coolant will steam off from just the area you say.
I had this while I was messing with the cooling system trying to find my leak...turned out to be the head gaskets...

Good luck! 911

Hmmm, I checked the expansion tank at the same time as the steaming incident, but if anything, there was less coolant! So maybe the the tank is leaking as well?

I'll do a proper check asap.

Cheers lads
Old 09 October 2004, 09:41 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

IMO,the right side of the radiator header is prone to cracking/splitting,the same side top rad hose,the header tank overflow pipe can break,and the head gasket can leak(this is likely to be a result of the first 3).
If you are lucky it will be a bad radiator cap seal.

Agree with 911.,good luck
Old 10 October 2004, 09:22 AM
Scooby Regular

To check if it is the head(s) gaskets, just fill (on a cold engine) the header tank to the brim, and the small upright 'tube' infront of the battery to 'full'.
Go and have a good hard blast for 5 miles when all warmed up ( )

Stop, and open the bonnet. Look very closely at the tube content. It will have risen quite a bit, BUT, if there are bubbles, big or small you are doomed. The bubbles are gases from the combustion of the cylinder blowing into the system under the extreme pressure of the blast. It will even bubble for minutes with the engine switched off!

Good news is that the water does not go the other way and into the cylinder/engine oil.

If you do have bubbles go talk to David at www.apiengines.co.uk for some non-bullsh!t advice/quotes

Drive home carefully.

Old 10 October 2004, 11:07 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Agree with dij. Plastic tanks on the side of Rad are prone to getting hair line cracks in them . Mine went near drivers side headlight. You had to look feckin hard to see it as well. Took rad off and took to place who do repairs, but alas couldn,t get hold of bits to repair, so finished up with NEW rad. Problem sorted.

SG
Old 18 October 2004, 06:47 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

also had a problem with coolant loss - and after many opinions a garage mechanic removed the radiator cap and pressure tested the coolant system; no loss of pressure / leak found.

He then looked very closely at the radiator cap and found a minute split in the rubber seal.

Radiator cap replaced - problem solved.

Hope it works out as simple for you.
Old 18 October 2004, 07:40 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

on the side of my TD05 f/e is a small 90deg. elbow coolant pipe that has a silver flexi protection sleeve on it.
I found that it was only held on with push clips and was letting by when hot.
Ive got wrapped headers and it was really steaming down there.
I only noticed it when I applied the throttle with the bonnet up and it gave a little jet from the bottom.
One jubilee later and (finers crossed) its tight and not letting by anymore.

check all the coolant pipes after a bit of a blat at the ends to see if any are weeping.
Old 18 October 2004, 12:40 PM
Scooby Regular

Peanuts has a point. The water cooling tube (rubber with heat sleeve) is only secure d with spring clips so could be the culprit as the coolant weeping would end-up in the heat shields of the stock headers.
Bet that was a sod of a job!