Notices

Poor first start....

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2004, 10:05 PM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor first start....

Any advice on the above. MY04 STI, done around 4500 miles.

First start in morning or after a day at work is poor, the turn over is fine but the engine only just catches / fires up and then comes to life.

Thanks
Old 02 October 2004, 02:40 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_sti_my04

First start in morning or after a day at work is poor, the turn over is fine but the engine only just catches / fires up and then comes to life.

Thanks
I always allow my fuel pump to stop priming the system before turning the engine over, seems to work for me. '03 STi.

John.
Old 02 October 2004, 08:51 AM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New To Scoob
I always allow my fuel pump to stop priming the system before turning the engine over, seems to work for me. '03 STi.

John.
Thanks John, you mean turn the ignition on, wait a second or two, then fire up? Will see how it goes.
T
Old 02 October 2004, 10:01 AM
ROO4NFG
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Have had the same prob with mine since new as well, finally got it sorted when it went in for a boost prob, and they found loose wires on the jack plug to the maf sensor.
Old 02 October 2004, 05:45 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Thanks
That is the best thing it could ever do,Becouse my scoob is my third car and only goes out perhaps twice a week ...I always disconnect the crank sensor,Turn the motor over till the oil light extinguishes,Then replace the crank sensor,And THEN fire her up....Its a well known fact that,Engines that take some churning over before thay start,Last the longest...Becouse the churning over...gives the pump time to oil everything before tonnes of pressure is exhurted on the big ends and crank mains..So in reality...Its better for the engine it dos`ent start first time......And becouse..(in my case)The crank sensor is removed ...The petrol pump is not pumping the engine/exhaust full of petrol ...Before the start.....I also have a kill switch on my other vehicles ,That double up as a anti-thieft device...To again stop them starting..If stood for some days......Kev.

Last edited by WRX STI Type RA.; 02 October 2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:17 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Thanks
If you do a search for this you will find that around Autumn Winter every year this becomes a topic of conversation among Bug/Blob STI owners. The standard car just doesn't start very well in low temperatures.
As you say, it catches and then slowly picks up to a tickover. This is normal.
It only becomes a problem when it catches and then dies. It can be an absolute pig to start after that !!
As I said, just wait untill the weather gets colder and then watch all the STI owners complain (me included!)