Notices

Vibration/Rattle from rear

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 10:45 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/Rattle from rear

I'm hearing a really annoying vibration/rattle coming from the rear of the car somewhere, I'm guessing the parcel shelf, but could be wrong. Its a MY04 WRX saloon, less than a month old.

Any ideas what it is? I'm guessing that its cabling for the alarm/parking sensors that must be running between the rear shelf, and its trim, and they are vibrating like mad. I'd like to know if this is common, or if I can persuade my dealer to find the source and dampen it.

Cheers.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:23 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Have the same since I bought the same car In July - not solved yet either!

Have you also got a rattle from somewhere near the glove box - airbag - does my head in !"

Mark
Old 29 September 2004, 02:26 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

yes. but they front dash rattles come and go, so I don't really mind them. the ones in the rear get on my **** though. of course, putting the stereo on masks them all.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:30 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

I solved the problem for a while at least by opening the boot - look right in the boot and up at the top lining - you will see the bottom of the parcel shelf. There are some wires running accross the back which I think were rattle between the bottom of the shelf and the metal frame work. I stuff some tissues between the two and it stopped .. for a while ....

others have reported that its something to do with the rear passenger belt mount point ...

Mark
Old 29 September 2004, 02:34 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

thanks mate. i already have sponge all over the place where i've tried to plug up the wires. i think there may well be something in the seatbelt mount or mechanism that rattles.
Old 20 October 2004, 01:51 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zerolight
thanks mate. i already have sponge all over the place where i've tried to plug up the wires. i think there may well be something in the seatbelt mount or mechanism that rattles.
rattle from the rear cleared up by dealer. it was apparently related to little plastic doo dahs that the parcel shelf trim clips into which were in the wrong place, or thereabouts. certainly, its all fine and dandy now.

now if i can just find out whats causing the occasional steering noise, and the vibration behind the dash.
Old 21 October 2004, 01:36 PM
Ozzer
Scooby Newbie

I found the problem with the rattle near to the glove box to be an out of balance fan unit mounted in the passenger foot well.

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 2004, 05:03 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzer
I found the problem with the rattle near to the glove box to be an out of balance fan unit mounted in the passenger foot well.
my vibration is more of a rattle. its behind the dash at the drivers side. slightly to the right of the steering wheel.