Notices

cel keeps popping on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2004, 12:21 AM
kicked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a puzzle for you guys

ok the story goes, i have a series mcrae and never had a problem with my cel til i had an induction kit put in. on a normal run to work..bout 30 mins drive, however hard i drive or not, i get no cel, so far so good. now, if i go into town,stop, pick up some shopping, start engine, go for a drive, stop, have a swift half, start engine start to drive home my cel will pop on dor about 30 seconds then go off then every 10 minutes or so it'll come on for about 30 seconds then go again! the mechanics that deal with my car have checked diagnostics and everything seems in its parameters. the knock sensor and maf appear to be fine. last week my engine died due to a frayed wire which cost me nearly 400 quid to be found as it was well hidden! i thought this may have been the reason for my cel light...but today it happened again and it is piisin me off somewhat! shall i get rid of the induction and go back to the stock airbox? does anyone know how much a stock airbox will cost and are they easy to fit and then also get myself a panel filter? has anyone experienced anything like this before cos everything in the car appears fine but on a longer run it'll just keep popping on and off! could it also be cos of the fact that its taking a lot of warm air from the engine and the maf/ecu doesn't like it but then it gets some cool air and is happy again? (ps i no nothing too much about cars just how to drive them so if i'm well off the mark please tell me!) sorry for the long post but need help badly!

Last edited by kicked; 05 September 2004 at 12:56 AM. Reason: no one reads cel problems anymore :(
Old 05 September 2004, 02:59 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Mine used to do something similar when it was de-catted, cat inefficiency or something. Where are you from, I'm sure there'll be someone close by willing to lend you an airbox for a couple of days to see if that cures it.

The ECU logs the fault codes, so subaru will be able to tell you what it is. Only they'll want an hours labor for a 30second job.

Dave
Old 05 September 2004, 06:45 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Do an ECU fault code check. Will tell you what the fault is straight away.

MB
Old 05 September 2004, 11:10 PM
kicked
Scooby Regular

Now this is the thingy.... Triton did all this and the problem was suppose to be the knock sensor so they cleared the ecu and said come back if it comes back. So i did the following week. (bout 3 weeks ago) so they checked it all again. They then checked the knock sensor and everything seemed fine. They checked the boost parimeters etc too and eveything seems ok. I think they are puzzled about this too! Everything seems to work well except for the occasion that the cel comes on...hence the reason i think it might be the warm air cold air thing??
Old 06 September 2004, 10:21 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Its difficult to tell without looking at it, but I always prefer a panel filter over an induction kit. Have they told you the fault code number? Triton are very good, but diagnostic faults can often be very tricky, and the fault that's shown can be a result of another sensor etc...

MB
Old 06 September 2004, 04:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Well If it's a knock sensor code, could it be that the induction kit is leaning it out and causing actual knock? Does the ECU put up a fault code for excessive knock?

Dave