Notices

Super loud blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2004, 06:26 PM
NINJA DAVE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super loud blow off valve

Hi folks, im in need of a bit help, i have been trying to get a loud valve for my 93 wrx, i have a vortex de cat system and apexi induction kit and baileys dump valve, my problem is i cant here my valve to well over the induction noise from my filter when the presure dumps, falkland performance kindly let me try a forge valve (thanks) but it was the same, so any suggestions for a nice loud valve that gives a clean dump of air??
Old 19 August 2004, 06:41 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

as far as i know scoobs before 96 dont dump very loud.something to do with the air being forced dack on itself.
i have a my95uk and the dump wasn't loud on that either,no matter what dump vave i tried.
now i have hust put a bugeye intercooler on the dump is much louder with the dv actually bolted to the cooler.i have a hks ssqv.am thinking of getting one with a trumpet,cant recall what they are called,but i know it will be loud as ****.
Old 19 August 2004, 09:09 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Why do you want a loud one? The standard one is well up to a few hundred BHP. If you want to sound like a complete Chav, im sure the HKS range will satisfy your needs

PS - Induction filters do nothing for the power on these cars, without a cold air feed and a remap, and can damage the air flow sensor.

MB
Old 19 August 2004, 09:16 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Wink

you want one of these as loud as they come

mike
Old 19 August 2004, 10:34 PM
redeye
Scooby Regular

thats the one i want.loud as ****,
dbm each to their own m8.
Old 20 August 2004, 02:31 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Sorry to p!$$ on some people's chips, but I really can't see the point nor the attraction of VTA dumpers. To the uninitiated, all they do is make the car sound like it's hi-pressure farting through extremely tightly clenched buttocks (if such a thing were possible on a car ). To those in the know, it's an indication that the owner prefers 'form over function', as it's more likely for the VTA to hinder performance rather than improve it. See THIS link for a more detailed explanation (thanks to Steve Breen's IWOC for that).

As was said before, it's each to their own. Personally, I'd recommend spending the money on a good geometry setup (at almost identical cost), as getting this done will show a REAL improvement in the way the car drives (away from Tesco's car park at midnight, that is ).

A loud, PFFFSSSSSST'ing (sounds like 'fisting', doesn't it? ) atmos dv may intimidate the bejeesuss out of the regular chav nobhed kroozing krowd, but they do **** all else, IMHO

Kev
Old 20 August 2004, 10:40 AM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agree wiv Kev...Atmo dumps don't help scoobs run correctly...they need recirc or the air flow readings to ECU will all be to c**k. This wont do your engine much good as it will be running rich, then lean, then rich, then lean till it sorts itself out on a gear change...Crap.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dark Blue-think your referring to the Turbo XS Dump valves. One comes with two trumpets and is rated at 10/10 for loudness. Think this will meet your requirements.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:42 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Mark,

PS - Induction filters do nothing for the power on these cars, without a cold air feed and a remap, and can damage the air flow sensor

Dont take this the wrong way, but.. dont talk so much ****
Read what year the car is... the MAF's are robust on that particular MY, they dont suffer like the 99/00 MAF's.
Do you honestly feel that a Cold air Kit is good for the MAF?

Far too many people on here think they know what they are talking about when they dont, New poster asking a question about something he wants, not asking for a slating..

PMSL!

Rob...

P.s. when your remapped car with a panel filter can make anywhere near as much power as my non remapped car with an Induction kit.. then maybe i eat humble pie..
Old 20 August 2004, 12:59 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

well said rob.
Old 20 August 2004, 01:02 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

HKS SSQV is a brilliant bit of kit which is also loud, if you want it to be. Dont be put off by people saying they mess up your car etc as it is nonsense. Very reputable tuners use these in upgrade packages. The HKS SSQV is by far superior in terms of bvuild quality than std.

I have one on my car....does that make me a chav MB?

Bob

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 20 August 2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old 20 August 2004, 02:31 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Rob, with all due respect I have seen the results of using a cone filter on and off the car on a rolling road, and through the feel of the car. The trouble is people believe that by strapping one of these things on, it will give the car more power. If you think thats the case then fine. Many of the top people in the know on this site will tell you that the standard airbox and a good panel filter is a very well designed piece of kit. Ok, if you want to go for big power then clearly the surface are of the filter needs increasing, as this becomes a bottleneck, but thats not waht we're talking about here.

BTW - there's no need to be rude - its easy to hide behind a BBS and say that sort of thing.

I am also aware the earlier MAF is stronger

MB
Old 20 August 2004, 02:47 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Bob, ok the Chav comment may have been a bit OTT , but again, I don't believe you can justify one in terms of performance for any mildly modified car...

MB
Old 20 August 2004, 04:10 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dark Blue-Just to reiterate your comments a bit here mate.

Have a UK97 and originally added a Blitz Induction kit which I ran for about eight months with 250 bhp or so. Eventually I felt that the car was running a bit lumpy and had the ecu etc checked. Turns out I had a few error codes and it was recommended that I return to the standard air box. Wow...what a difference it made. Car drove a lot nicer.

I've since managed to achieve 300bhp plus and recently had to change the standard air box and gone the induction route again. Once again there has been a noticeable difference (with a different manufacturer) and I'm happy with the results.

The debate will always run when discussing dump valves. The first one that I had on was certainly loud but did nothing for the performance of the car. It wasn't until I upgraded to the HKS one that I genuinely saw the difference. Guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited by RLE; 20 August 2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 20 August 2004, 04:41 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Dave, given that the dump valve would generally be dumping on closed throttle, you would expect to hear it as your induction would be quiet at that point?

Your induction kit (if coupled with a better exhaust) would tend to lean out the mixture. A VTA dump valve would give rise to a richer mixture (as the ECU thinks there is more air than there is), so one certainly compensating (to a degree) for the other.

Not sure why you can't hear a DTA dump valve though

Personally, I think they sound and I'm no chav.
Old 20 August 2004, 04:52 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
HKS SSQV is a brilliant bit of kit which is also loud, if you want it to be. Dont be put off by people saying they mess up your car etc as it is nonsense. Very reputable tuners use these in upgrade packages. The HKS SSQV is by far superior in terms of bvuild quality than std.

I have one on my car....does that make me a chav MB?

Bob
I have that one as well, my car came with it on so can't comment on any difference between this and standard, it does get noticed though
Old 20 August 2004, 06:43 PM
NINJA DAVE
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks for the advice

Just like to thank you for your advice folks (well the people that answered what i asked). I dont care much for all the technical crap, i know enough to get by fine, and the chav comment was a bit strong as i cant stand little ***** in there 10k corsas with 50bhp and as said were on a bbs here if it was said to my face i think you would find by my reaction how i feel about it. So big thanks again as you have given me plenty to go on.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:04 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Diablo...

Unfortunately a VTA wont compensate for lean mixture as it 'should' only overfuel on lift off (rather than on boost for example)...
Not trying to educate you, but if anyone else out there wants to know why here goes

The MAF is a Mass Air Flow sensor, this sensor reads all air passing through the inlet and tells the Ecu how much fuel to add to give correct fueling (sp) for running the engine under various loads. When you accelerate then lift off, some of the air that has been read by the MAF is dumped to atmosphere... This causes a rich mixture as the Ecu has been told to add 'X' ammount of fuel but for example only 2/3rds of the MAF read air is entering the engine. When the car is on boost the Dump valve 'should' not leak and will have no affect on the air fuel mixture...
The reason for Induction noise when you lift off is due to Compressor stall mainly, this is when the turbo has been spinning (boosting) and you shut thr throttle, the air has no where to go and the compressor wheel gets choked... The air that would normally be pushed into the intercooler is then pushed back out of the inlet to the turbo.. Hence the Induction sound..

Now.. although Dump valves should correct this as one of their main uses is to dump the air that is choking the compressor wheel, there are very few that can vent that much air so the induction noise will often be louder, HKS filters are probably the loudest as far as compressor noise goes... HKS SSQ, TurboXs and Turbo smart are only 3 of the VTA DV's that i have heard/fitted that will be louder...

Mark, maybe my post came across a bit harsh, but some of the points you made were a bit missleading... Remember the first time you posted? if you had been slated woudl you come back?... FFS i sound like a feckin peace keeper! lol

Just before i reda this thread i had read 6/7 others with so much crap in, crap that newbies will prob listen to and make purchases/decisions on.. i vented my frustration on this thread dont take it personally..

Rob

p.s. where is spellcheck I need it!
Old 20 August 2004, 07:08 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

more boost = more noise

1.8bar should make sum noise

FCD is your best mate
Old 20 August 2004, 07:14 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Lol

What noise would 1.8bar make without a remap though? Whoosh or bang

Rob
Old 20 August 2004, 07:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

"WAAAANG"
Old 20 August 2004, 07:32 PM
NINJA DAVE
Scooby Newbie

Some good info for me there Rob with regards to the induction noise im getting, cheers. Think on 1.8 bar it will sound kinda like shotgun going off in your face, nice!
Old 20 August 2004, 07:33 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

RLE - I had exactly the same results, and that was the same day with before and after results, ECU resets and numbers or run's etc.

Stick, no problems. I have the same annoyance as I do spend a lot of time trying to help people in Gen Technical. There's a lot of people that have the misconception that bolting on a big filter and a dump valve will make the car a serious pwer monster - just trying to point out that both are pointless below 300 ish BHP. I did check with a very respected chap on here on that one and he's in agreement.

Ninja - you may not care for the technical stuff but how many people do I know that have said that and come back posting about piston melt down Not saying that will happen, but if it were me, id like to know exactly what the mods were doing on my car.

1.8 bar without a remap, a lot of jingly noises then a bang?!

MB
Old 20 August 2004, 07:37 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

'1.8 bar without a remap, a lot of jingly noises then a bang?!'

PMSL!! rattle rattle, whoosh bang...

Rob
Old 20 August 2004, 07:41 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular