General questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 06:24 PM
AstroBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking General questions

Hi,

I've just bought my first Subaru and was hoping if anyone can answer a few general questions??

How long does the wrx need before it's warmed up, as it's so tempting to just step on it and go!! I don't want to damage the engine.

Does it go through a lot of oil compared to other makes of cars, how often should I check it??

thanks in advance.
Old 13 August 2004, 06:32 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AstroBoy
Hi,

I've just bought my first Subaru and was hoping if anyone can answer a few general questions??

How long does the wrx need before it's warmed up, as it's so tempting to just step on it and go!! I don't want to damage the engine.

Does it go through a lot of oil compared to other makes of cars, how often should I check it??

thanks in advance.

Hi Mate

I generally times the time taken for the normal temp gauge to warm up by three, but i have been told that this may still not be long enough...

Thou... had the car for three years and no damage yet

Not sure about the oil.

MB
Old 13 August 2004, 07:38 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

I have never warmed my engine up, though have driven under 2800 rpm for the first 5 odd minutes & never booted it whatsoever from cold.

Most synthetic oils have "esthers" which basically cling to all the moving engine parts & offer protection from start up.

Check your oil weekly as with tyre pressures, water levels etc. A car with age will tyoically burn upto a litre of oil per 1000 miles. With a new engine it may not burn any oil for a number of years.....