NF Race Formula Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2004, 09:22 AM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile NF Race Formula Octane Booster

Hi,
I'm currently running on Shell Optimax (98 RON) and just got some NF Race formula octane booster.

Just wondered on how much to put in to take to 100 RON (jap spec fuel).

The bottle says anywhere between 1ml-5ml per litre of normal unleaded (low octane??) fuel?

How much to increase by 20points (2 RON) for Optimax ?
Cheers,
R.
Old 11 August 2004, 09:30 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

For a real 2 ron - probably half the bottle

Shell Optimax is 98.6 Ron........ so you need 1.4Ron - so for sure about half would be right.......

If you are just after 100ron for safety you'd probably be better opting for Millers at about £3 a bottle.....and put the whole thing in - with NF you'll be messing about trying to measure the stuff on the forecourt!!

Jap Innovations sell this sort of stuff and its probably more suited to your needs and wont foul up your spark plugs like NF does (a known side effect!!)
Old 11 August 2004, 09:39 AM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
For a real 2 ron - probably half the bottle

Shell Optimax is 98.6 Ron........ so you need 1.4Ron - so for sure about half would be right.......

If you are just after 100ron for safety you'd probably be better opting for Millers at about £3 a bottle.....and put the whole thing in - with NF you'll be messing about trying to measure the stuff on the forecourt!!

Jap Innovations sell this sort of stuff and its probably more suited to your needs and wont foul up your spark plugs like NF does (a known side effect!!)
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
Shame it fouls the plugs? I did not know this
Cheers Fangoria!
Old 11 August 2004, 03:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

steve, the tangoing effect os caused by manganese compounds and they are just as prominent in millers as they are in NF. Possibly more so.

Apparently it takes 1ml concentration of Nf for two ron points. That equates to about 5 applications per bottle assuming 50 litres each time. At £9 a bottle that puts NF cheaper than millers, and experience has shown it to work better. I certainly prefer it and the dyno seems to indicate it works really well.

A lot of octane boosters really are snake oil and don't work as they say they do, apparently they fool the knock link by altering the frequency which the det produces, this is not the same as reducing det. Not sure if i believe that but a lot of independent reviews put NF out at the top of the pile.

Given the choice I have not looked back.

But then I bought 60 bottles which should be more than good for two years motoring with at full concentration.

Last edited by Adam M; 11 August 2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11 August 2004, 06:03 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have just gone over to NF/Optimax.
It is hard to judge the ammount you pour in before you put the pump gas in..

What is very apparent is the improvement in the car (stock except for decat and manifold flow).

Worth it I think. The accelleration and mid range pick-up is

Old 11 August 2004, 06:54 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Adam

The deposits are far worse with NF over Millers - but maybe its cos I put the whole bottle of NF in.... Then again I used to put 2/3 bottle of Millers in. Millers never knackered my plugs - NF does and many others have also commented on this

Cant remember if the NF bottles I have are 250ml or 300ml

Either way there aint no way that on me filling up say 50litres I get a 10 Ron increase from a full bottle (5ml/50 litres on a 250ml bottle)!! - I thought the whole bottle gave about 6 Ron increase (they can dream) having had a direct comaprison with race fuel NF is not that potent (but its about the best simple booster there is - Methonal would work on cheaper with say a 10% concentration as its not costing you anything to boost the octane - as its similarly priced to petrol from Jennychem), given I got another 30+bhp with Race fuel (106Ron/94 Mon - 76 racing fuels) compared to Optimax and a full bottle of NF - and that on a tiny turbo like the 05/06
Old 11 August 2004, 06:55 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

£9 a bottle on NF - I thought I was doing well getting them for £10.......... the 30 bottles should last me about 6000 miles...............