Notices

Breathless Classic WRX

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2004, 11:29 PM
jimmy c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breathless Classic WRX

Wonder if anyone can help. Got a 93 wrx and it just doesnt seem to running right. Sometimes it will boost up fine, then the next minute when you put your foot down it just doesnt want to know. If you give it half throttle for a couple of minutes it seems to clear and go again. The car has just been to Graham Goode racing and the computer picked up no faults and they also couldnt find anything wrong. I have checked all the turbo and air feed pipework for splits ect and i cant see any signs there. The car is standard with only an uprated backbox. Also is it common to get your maximum power at about 5000revs? It doesnt really seem to do alot for this at the best of times. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Old 06 August 2004, 09:02 AM
Wooffy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy c
Wonder if anyone can help. Got a 93 wrx and it just doesnt seem to running right. Sometimes it will boost up fine, then the next minute when you put your foot down it just doesnt want to know. If you give it half throttle for a couple of minutes it seems to clear and go again. The car has just been to Graham Goode racing and the computer picked up no faults and they also couldnt find anything wrong. I have checked all the turbo and air feed pipework for splits ect and i cant see any signs there. The car is standard with only an uprated backbox. Also is it common to get your maximum power at about 5000revs? It doesnt really seem to do alot for this at the best of times. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Is it burning oil as well?
Old 07 August 2004, 08:54 PM
jimmy c
Scooby Regular

It has used a little bit of oil but nothing excessive
Old 08 August 2004, 11:59 AM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Hi Jimmy,

It could be the warm weather ? There are a couple of threads on here about
lack off power. I know mine doesn't like this hot weather.

Engine bay temps have been recorded at 75 deg they should be 30 for the car to run correctly.

Went out the other night late (cool) and i could really feel the difference.

Cheers Red.
Old 08 August 2004, 04:47 PM
jimmy c
Scooby Regular

Yeah performance defo better at night but ive had the prob for a while now even before the warm spell. It will be interesting to see if wooffy can help with his comments on burning oil
Old 08 August 2004, 04:58 PM
Wooffy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy c
Yeah performance defo better at night but ive had the prob for a while now even before the warm spell. It will be interesting to see if wooffy can help with his comments on burning oil
Sorry mate didn't want to scare monger. If it was burning an unacceptable amount of oil combined with a dramatic power loss i'd be looking at melted piston or totally worn rings. You'd notice crap loads of smoke belching out of the back mind.

Red has mentioned the most probable cause being ambient temperature. Your intercooler will cool the inlet charge down condensing the air for improved combustion. However as red said the extra heat experienced will prevent the intercooler doing it's job the best it can (hense water spray and injection!) Your car will feel at its best late evening and in colder weather.

Are ALL the assosiated pipes etc under bonnet tight and without holes etc. Do you run a boost guage? Have you noticed a drop in boost presure? (could indicate an air leak)
Old 09 August 2004, 09:20 PM
jimmy c
Scooby Regular

Ok. Well it doesnt use loads of oil i only top it up with a small amount every 200-300 miles or so and defo no smoke at all. As i said pipework appears to be sweet. As for my boost on full power on the guage it reads 0.8 bar which i assume is normal for standard boost. Even when going into its limp mode it stills shows 0.8 bar on the guage at full throttle and other times when going into limp mode it wont go over 0.5 bar.