Notices

Fitting PPP ECU to '02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2004, 06:51 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Fitting PPP ECU to '02 WRX

I have a '02 WRX with scoobysport de-cat exhaust system (Janspeed variant) The upipe is still standard. Is it possible to simply plug in the PPP ECU or does anything else need changing.

Also what about the cars imobiliser? Will it need changing, how is this done?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old 02 August 2004, 07:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i dont think its possible to do a straight plug and play swap due to the key fob codes and immobiliser you mentionned, also, you might want to consider changing the up pipe as if you dont then the cat in it will start to break down and go through your turbo, knackering it......

Neil.
Old 02 August 2004, 07:19 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Neilo
i dont think its possible to do a straight plug and play swap due to the key fob codes and immobiliser you mentionned, also, you might want to consider changing the up pipe as if you dont then the cat in it will start to break down and go through your turbo, knackering it......

Neil.
So does the PPP package remove the up-pipe? Is this a definate or just an increased risk of break down?

Cheers

Matt
Old 02 August 2004, 07:21 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mat Mc
So does the PPP package remove the up-pipe? Is this a definate or just an increased risk of break down?

Cheers

Matt
No it doesnt, not does it change the downpipe. The only cat that is removed is the small center one (i think to relieve a bit of back pressure?) so basically the mods you have already done will not work as effectively with the PPP ecu as with a tek3 on your original ecu.

My advice if possible would be to remove the up-pipe (to avoid knackering your turbo) and get the car tek3'd. Then it will feel a fair bit stronger that the PPP one would even if you had the right bits for it to work
Old 02 August 2004, 07:24 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mat Mc
Is this a definate or just an increased risk of break down?
I think the common concensus, is that it WILL happen if you leave it in, how long it takes to happen is probably dependant on how hard you drive the car....but if your anything like me then about an hour

seriously, it may take month, a year etc but it wont take a lot going through the turbo to damage it...
Old 02 August 2004, 07:30 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Neilo

I would prefer to Tek 3 but, its attractive to simply change the ECU to the PPP and then remove it when its time to sell the car if required. It should still get to the PPP BHP figure which I think is 265bhp?

In regards to the immobillser does anyone know how to set the ECU to my keys, or can the transponder be swapped from key to key?

Thanks

Matt
Old 02 August 2004, 07:33 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt bank on getting the 265bhp figure just by plugging it in, this thread was also started today on a similar subject....not identical but just an idea.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=349758

hope it works out for you though.

Neil
Old 02 August 2004, 11:35 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Hmm....... not sure I agree about the up-pipe bit and the Turbo...... However I will enquire so thanks for pointing this out

Re PPP Versus ecutek as you've already invalidated the warranty with a decat you may as well get a better mapped car - i.e. the Ecutek.......... it feels good................ almost prefer it to my 450+ sti5