Notices

Urgent Head Gasket Testing.

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 10:30 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Head Gasket Testing.

I have been told to try a method by a supplier of my recent engine to test for Hydro carbon in the coolant system. By placing the probe of a emmision tester into the expansion bottle with the engine running, this should then clarify if there are any hydro carbon fumes in the coolant system.

I am not sure if I have used the corrects words ie hydro carbon etc and if this the correct way of doing it. Can someone please clarify the excat method of doing the above test.

I myself am certain the heads have a slight leak (lift off) . This usually happens after driving the car on boost and when the car is left stationary after driving, bubbles appear in the expansion tank, most of time the coolant with poor out of the expansion tank.

My rad has been checked, rad cap replaced with new one. I am certain there are no air locks.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have a few days off from work to sort this problem out, hopefully getting the supplier to agree that he sold has head gasket problem. Hence replace or refund.

Thank you.
Ticky
Old 28 July 2004, 12:46 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ticky, if you have bubbles your gasket(s) have gone.
I went through all this recently, spoke to the 'Master' APIDavid, stipped the heads off, and one was gone.
Replaced with Sti v4 gaskets, all ok now, no bubbles, do discharge.

As to the 'chemical' approach, this is interesting as presence of combustion products will lead you to the gaskets leaking, but the bubble test after a good hard blast will proove everything.
Try www.apiengines.co.uk Ask for David, he won't screw you or anyone else.