Notices

New member with V1 STi. What mods first?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2004, 05:48 PM
ChrisSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with V1 STi. What mods first?

Hey guys.
Well got my car a few weeks ago. A few days after I decided to move to new zealand so put it up for sale. Now im keeping it and staying in england so lets get the mods started.

There really doesnt seem to be a mod guid for the V1 STi so Ill see if you guys can help me.

At the moment Im just looking for about 280bhp to start with. The car already does 0-60 in 4.6 so I hear so its not too bad as it is but could be faster.

1. Induction, I have seen that most of the WRX owners upgrade to the STI filter. I have an sti so what do I upgrade too? Or is this not needed?

2. De-catting, Its a 94 car so instead of de-catting the car im going to just gutt the cats for MOT reasons. Has anyone tried this? Will it cause me problems?

3. Boost controller, I heard the car runs .9 bar standard but can take up to 1.1bar pretty safely. Will i need to get the fueling ajusted for this?

Im not looking to spend big bucks to start with as you can tell but will these simple mods get me to around 280bhp?

Any advice will be great as I am very very new to scoobys.

Cheers
chris
Old 18 July 2004, 06:44 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ChrisSTI
2. De-catting, Its a 94 car so instead of de-catting the car im going to just gutt the cats for MOT reasons. Has anyone tried this? Will it cause me problems?
What MOT reasons?
Old 18 July 2004, 06:46 PM
ChrisSTI
Scooby Regular

I thought any car over the year 1994 needed the cats etc? If not just ignore me lol
Old 18 July 2004, 07:53 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

chris -

From a fellow STI V1 owner, welcome to the club ! As far as mods, a decat exhaust was my first choice, and it does make a significant difference. Your car (should) have the TD05 turbo as does my wagon, so the turbo is capable of more than 300BHP without too much effort. You should be considering larger injectors, uprated fuel pump and boost changes next. It's worth checking all the critical sensors are working OK as well, MAF, lambda etc. Also worth getting several monitoring guages, a Knocklink, boost, oil temperature and pressure at least, so you can monitor the engines health before tuning it.
Old 18 July 2004, 08:15 PM
ChrisSTI
Scooby Regular

cheers boxer, I have just ordered oil temp, boost guages. Will take a look at knocklink right now.
I really like the echaust I have at the moment. Its not too loud like my last car so I think I will just gut the cat/cats.
Will order a fuel pump tonight too.

I need to change leads and plugs then I will take it too the RR to get everything checked out.

So the plan so far

1. fit guages
2. gut the cat/cats
3. uprate fuel pump
4. get a RR tune

What injectors would you recomend? I really am only looking for around 280bhp at the moment. Will standard ones do?

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 18 July 2004, 08:38 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

chris you have pm mate
Old 19 July 2004, 01:12 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

If your initial target is 280bhp, you won't need to change the injectors. You might not even need to change the fuel pump, but it's a good idea to do it anyway as given the age of these cars the pumps have been known to degrade. In mine I get 270-290BHP (depending on the rolling road used) on a decat and fuel pump upgrade.

When you start thinking about getting closer to 300, the you'll need to start thinking about the injectors : which will also mean thinking about how you adjust the fuelling, which will mean some kind of ecu solution.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2004, 02:46 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisSTI
I thought any car over the year 1994 needed the cats etc? If not just ignore me lol
Yes, it does, but it's not the appearance of there being cats in the exhaust that gets you through your MOT, it needs to pass an emissions test, which it won't if you gut the cat. You would be better off to do what most people do and de-cat but hold on to one of your old cat sections of exhaust. At MOT time stick the cat section back in and then remove it afterwards. If you brutalise the cat out of the pipe you don't have this option so you are scr*wed for your MOT and new cat sections are not cheap.