Notices

Im feeling the horn, or lack of it ;)

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 10:54 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im feeling the horn, or lack of it ;)

Hi peeps,

Ive got a simple question I think. My horn doesnt work. Now I know not much more than high school physics and V= i/r etc. How do I step by step fix it. ? If I remove the steering wheel cover, there are two clips with power attached to each one.

How do I test it. What type of battary can I put across the horn to see if it works ?
Old 16 July 2004, 11:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The steering wheel is effectively the "switch" to activate the horn. A battery will not do you any good at all. Start at the horn unit itself using a multi meter
Old 17 July 2004, 04:05 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

As what Brun says.

Assuming you have checked the fuse to horn circuit.

Start at horn end.See if you get a decent reading at the connector when someone presses the horn.

If you get a reading then power is getting to the horn so the top end of circuit is ok.Try the car battery direct to the horn terminals after pulling the connector off.If it still doesn't work it will be the horn itself that is duff.

No reading means check back along wiring for breaks & check switch in steering wheel.

Word of warning.If you have drivers air bag do NOT start attaching batteries to any connections you are not sure of in the steering wheel area.

If you are v lucky sometimes just pulling the connector off & reattaching it will bring the horn back to life.It cleans up the tarnished connection.

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 17 July 2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 17 July 2004, 07:31 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Well I was very lucky, started prodding about and got 12V across the horn electrics in the steering wheel. So opened the bonnet. The bloke I had bought if from had detacted the horn clips from the horn (god knows why and its now working ) Only problem is there are two wires hanging loose now as they were wrapped up with the horn wires !.

Im intrigued as to why it should be like that but it was an easy fix in the end ! Cheers chaps