Notices

Advice needed for my94 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 09:00 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Advice needed for my94 wrx

Hi, three weeks ago i brought an import wrx. i have fitted a turbo back revolution exhaust system (stainless) and have swapped the ecu (w6) for a z4. can anyone please tell me if i'm on the right track to obtaining 300bhp out of my car. i've spoke to alot of people on the phone about various performance enhancing products but everyone has something different to offer. i thought u guys who have tried and tested some of these products, would know where to go next. Sorry if this sounds a bit of a stupid post, but i haven't got money to burn on fitting stuff that has no benefit. i was looking at another ecu upgrade from ks performance who offer an exchange unit for £200 which raises the boost to 16psi, fuel cut raises to 17.5 psi and improves fuelling for uk fuel and advances timing. Cheers, for any help!!!http://www.kaguzuchi.com/ECUremap.html
Old 14 July 2004, 09:27 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Smile

hi there
yeh good start, but before going further a few thimgs i have had pointed out to me.
have you got the right plugs? checked your coil packs? got a clean or cleaned maf and boost solenoid? use very good oil ( fully synthetic). might be worth changing/checking the lambda sensor. Also think about fitting a knock link kit, boost guage and afr to keep an eye on the running of the engine whilst driving. (and the z4 ecu runs at 260, full decat and decent air intake should get a further 25-30 bhp - im shore people in the know will give a better idea for you!)

I have a z4 in my93 wrx with a scooby chip. it now runs 15.5psi and on optimax alone, k&n induction (but keep an eye on the maf as the oil from the filter will clog it up!) hks downpipe, scoobyworld system with their vortex back box. also i have got a walbro uprated fuel pump, boost g and knock sensor kit and samco hoses. Next is to get blitz boost solenoid & hks fuel cut defender ( by jap-innovations) then 300 bhp should be expected. not bad seen as it should be 240 standard.

For the best advice speak rich @ jap innovations
www.jap-innovations.co.uk

Hope that helps!

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 14 July 2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 14 July 2004, 09:44 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice, what plugs should i have fitted? i had the cambelt, plugs, transmission fluid and oil changed on saturday. the cars only done 51,000 miles. the plugs fitted now are ngk laser platinum pfr6b. everything else was just standard subaru dealer products. should i look at an induction kit and knock sensor as next mods then. also should the ecu be reset, as the guy who fitted it just took the old one out and fitted the new one, the battery wasn't even disconnected which i questioned at the time, but was told not to worry. also what is an afr??
Old 14 July 2004, 09:54 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

the plugs you have are ok for now but if you are doing any more mods you want ngk pfr7b next ones up! i had them they sound. but if you feeling rich (or just like wasting money like me!) get a set of blitz or hks iridium plugs at about 70 quid a set, they get better spark for the increased power from the mods.
afr - air to fuel ratio meter tells you if the engine is running rich or lean or spot on.
as for next mods thats up to you there are so many to choose and ways going about it. you could get 10 different replies saying what to do next.
however improving the air flow in will be better for the car. Many opinions on induction kits or to stay with a panel filter - as i pointed out the maf gets soiled from oiled kits like k&n - i have no probs but i clean it as a monthly check.
knock link yeh go for it - simple bit of kit easy to fit - do a search for how to fit. and could save your engine !
the ecu swap will be fine battery on or off afaik. but it wont do any harm to do a reset. again do a search to find out how.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:02 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

z4 ecu runs at 260
This is true on 100RON fuel as supplied in Japan but not on Optimax alone - also would be advisable to add octane booster if running a Full Decat with a JDM ECU as the maps will be set for use with 100RON fuel
The addition of a Scoobyecu will enable you to run on Optimax alone plus will have an increased boost target with fuel/ign maps to suit
NGK PFR6B's will be ok until you raise the boost significantly which you will then require PFR7's. A decent panel filter like the STi jobbie should suffice for induction. A knocklink is a must when increasing the boost with the addition of a boost gauge and AFR when funds allow.
If the new ECU hasn't been on a car for a while it may have already reset itself but the reset procedure is shown HERE

Cheers
Old 15 July 2004, 10:33 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

where can i get a scoobyecu? i have tried various links on different posts and have tried mailing scoobyecu.co.uk but have not had any replies. any help would be gratefully received.
Old 15 July 2004, 10:37 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

They are very busy atm with preparation for TOTBIII

Cheers
Old 15 July 2004, 10:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider your quest for power and think about these little items whilst doing so (and listen to what DelBoy2 has stated also )

The more power you add, the more strain the gearbox and clutch will suffer, both are weak spots and not good for much over or around 300bhp, the clutch probably will last longer than the gearbox though, if your seriously after 300bhp then you need to look into these area's, as already stated, jap innovations could be a starting point, you need to speak to Rich Wild, plus your brakes will need some serious sorting as even the subaru 4 pots which are considerably better than the 2 pots you already have fitted are not up to the job of handling 300bhp IMHO (they scared me with 215bhp!!). Also consider how much adding extras will increase your insurance premium, you may be pretty shocked at how much an ecu will add to your premium, same with an exhaust (you can look at the price of an exhaust plus some depending on who your with ) so you need to look into that.

Tony
Old 17 July 2004, 11:30 AM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

hi,

thanks for all your help, reflecting on my budget and issues discussed. 300 bhp seems a tad ambitious. i will get a scoobyecu for sure, just need someone to sell me one. also brakes are an issue, what in the way of upgrades would u recommend? i've heard ap racing offer a good kit.

rob
Old 17 July 2004, 02:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AP do IMHO the best brake kits you can get, they are not cheap though and you will need (depending on what size kit your after/discs/4/6 pot calipers) a minimum of 16 inch wheels (17 inch for the 330mm discs).
www.scoobymania.co.uk do these kits, there may be others also like scoobyworld or scoobysport, or even look under the scoobynet shop

Tony
Old 18 July 2004, 09:24 AM
geordie 555
Scooby Regular

sorry to but in but i have 92 wrx(k reg) but would like a bit more power.are those ecu's from a good company or do you know of anyone who has bought one.what is the standard boost of a 92/93 wrx(240 bhp) as my old type r sti was 10psi standard. if these raise the boost safely to 16psi for £200 it has to be worth a buy(doesnt it!)
im in the same boat want loads of bhp but empty pockets.
Old 18 July 2004, 09:39 AM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

hi geordie,

these scoobyecu and vos, are chips which can be fitted easily to the standard ecu. i'm not sure but i would think u have a w6 ecu fitted to your car which will boost at around 11.5 psi. i have the z4 ecu which is a newer version of the w6 and boosts slighty higher. if u want a scoobyecu, then best of luck trying to get hold of one, i've posted and emailed a lot of people but no replys from email. adrian vos does a chip which basically does the same and seems to have all the answers. try mailing him, he's not that much more expensive then a scoobyecu and u will get change from your £200.

adrianvos@yahoo.com.au

hope this helps
rob
Old 20 July 2004, 09:28 AM
geordie 555
Scooby Regular

Smile

thanks so much for that mate.i will e-mail the link below and hopefully be sorted.