Notices

MY02 STI - PPP exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 10:28 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 STI - PPP exhaust question

Hi,

In the future I may be looking at changing the exhaust on my STI. I've read that the PPP exhaust is still quite restrictive from the Sports Cat back.

I want to keep the Sports Cat, as it is highly rated. (plus I can't be ar*d with mot/decat problems)

I've heard good things about the Milltek system...

Any comments/suggestions ?

Cheers..

Mark.
Old 10 July 2004, 12:53 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

anyone care to comment ?

Can the Sports Cat cope with higher power outputs ?
Old 10 July 2004, 02:33 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mark,
Probs is the same old chestnut of PPP and Warranty. Exhaust mods are considered a No No and by-by Waranty

If your not worried by Warranty the PPP sports Cat is very good. Most of the original MY02 PPP's were soldered in chips in ECU, which would need to be removed if you were to reprogram TEK3. later MYO2's were remapped.

Saying that I have known people who have changed the rear sections and had no problem and some have making them slower

PPP is effectively an off the shelf ECU map, fits all and 3 year warranty(Ecuteck2 type ish). But no two engines/boost valves/sensors are exactly the same, so lager allowances windows are made. A Ecuteck3 map to take in account your cars Mods etc and window are narrowed.

So if a Ecuteck2 type, and your boost is running on low end of this set boost window and you fit mods you maybe lucky and get to the top end of the window. if your already at the top end of the window you get problems of overboost.

With exhaust mods the Engine can and will spool up quicker, the upside, making it quicker. Downside "Overboost" or boost "Spikes" if these go over ECU set "Limits" it can protect the engine by further reducing the Boost. The car will and was affectively slower.

This is probably not 100% Technically correct but it's how someone explained it to me in simple terms.

IIRC IMHO
Old 10 July 2004, 02:58 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking at just bunging on an exhaust part and off I go.

This is a long term question (ie, after my warranty expires in March).

I know I will need a remap whatever I do. (I do have the newer PPP fitted, not the boost clamp).

I'm just trying to assertain that the Sports Cat can indeed cope with bigger power.

My long term plan (again after warranty expires) is to fit headers / tek3 / maybe a FSE fuel regulator.

Just wondering if chaging any exhaust parts will make a difference, whilst retaining the cat.
Old 10 July 2004, 06:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The WR1 must have a d/pipe cat in it - perhaps someone can confirm its the same Prodrive sports cat as on the STi PPP?
Mike Wood replied on a thread some weeks back, that the PPP sports cat was as good as a decat d/pipe in terms of low backpressure.

Nick