Notices

Knock Link. Caution.

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 09:31 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Link. Caution.

I have come accross three K.L.s in the last three weeks which were not functioning.

On the WRX Wagon I had relocated the LEDs remotely and was impressed by how quiet it was with only two greens after a major power hike. Turbo, Injectors, Exhaust, Headers and Link ECU etc. When I removed the installation I found that some of the telephone cable wires used to extend the LEDs position had fractured.
All soldered back together for me by Andrew C. Obviosly telephone cable is too brittle. Use softer wire. Luckily the fault was detected before damage occurred.

The second occurrence was on a car where det was audible but only two greens were showing. I thought it would just be a case of turning up the sensitivity before sorting out the det issues. Shock, horror. On opening the original box, some of the legs to the LEDs were fractured. This box had probably never been opened before. A simple soldering job effected the repair.

A couple of weeks ago I was called to an STi 9, just off the motoway slip. No.1 piston had picked up in the bore and the repair was a complete engine transplant for £1500. The owner had been exploring the performance of his vehicle but had only seen two flickering greens.
By chance, after he got the car back, I asked him to check the garage had refitted his K.L. sensor and where was it located. I suggested he tap the block with a heavy screw driver and he had two greens. I then asked him to use a hammer but still only two greens. The K.L. was bought in a Group Buy about 18mths ago and transferred from the previous car to the 9. On openning the O/E K.L. box.....more fractured LED legs. Expensive.

So if you rely on a Knock Link check it regularly. I understand on some cars there is a full scale reading on turning the starter as the ring gear is engaged but unless you get a full scale reading, proceed with caution.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:38 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers, Harvey

..../goes to twack his lump with a spanner to check

btw Harvey..... where in your opinion is the best place to mount the sensor? Mine's on the passenger side of the engine, which seems to be the most common location.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:40 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replied below Burr. Ring me if you want to discuss. 07860 302020.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:42 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

ring ring
Old 01 July 2004, 09:52 AM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

When I removed the installation I found that some of the telephone cable wires used to extend the LEDs position had fractured.
All soldered back together for me by Andrew C. Obviosly telephone cable is too brittle. Use softer wire.
Just to elaborate a little more on this very good point made by Harvey, all solid single strand cable should be avoided for any type of installation like this. This includes CAT5 as well as telephone cable. This type of cable is not designed to flex and will always break. ONLY stranded cable is suitable as this allows for flexing.

I understand on some cars there is a full scale reading on turning the starter as the ring gear is engaged but unless you get a full scale reading, proceed with caution.
I have this, it's very reasuring. Should be fitted as standard I say