Do I Need a Remap

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 09:21 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need a Remap

hiya peops
i have a sti 5 type r. its got a magnex downpipe, blitz nur spec system and blitz filter. Ever since having the exhaust put on when throttle maxed in 5th gear it will hesitate like it reaches a fuel cut/boost limit???? do i need a remap to control how much the car is boosting due to the change in the exhaust system etc?????
what do peops recommend??
cheers.

tas
Old 30 June 2004, 09:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

would of thought all that on a uk car and it would need a remap never mind an sti 5
Old 01 July 2004, 12:58 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
would of thought all that on a uk car and it would need a remap never mind an sti 5
what should i go for then and from where???

cheers
tas
Old 01 July 2004, 02:01 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Yes you need a remap if you like your engine working!

Go for an ecutek 3 to get it mapped properly for UK Fuel and maximum performance. You can get these done by several places such as Bob Rawle, power engineering, powerstation or TSL.

Last edited by Eagle7; 01 July 2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01 July 2004, 03:07 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Agree with Eagle7. Get a remap now, or get a blown engine by Christmas, especially if you're caning it around in 5th, which means you're probably delimited (112mph+) and probably hitting parts of the map which were inadequate to start with!

If I were you I would consider getting a knocklink as well!
Old 02 July 2004, 06:35 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
Agree with Eagle7. Get a remap now, or get a blown engine by Christmas, especially if you're caning it around in 5th, which means you're probably delimited (112mph+) and probably hitting parts of the map which were inadequate to start with!

If I were you I would consider getting a knocklink as well!
ok thanx for the advice. dont always cane it around. has only happened once when i was on the motorway.

how much am i looking for a remap and knock link.....

i always run it on optimax and octane booster to try and make up for the ****ty uk fuel.....

tas
Old 05 July 2004, 03:50 AM
jerry sti
Scooby Newbie

Hi there
I very nearly grenaded my sti 5. Just fitted 3'' ex sys,hks ind kit, I travelled down to Steve Simpson to get a gems ecu fitted & mapped. When I arrived, Steve started fitting the system & removed the lambda probe to fit his afr meter. the probe was nearly white. Steve thought that it was probably due to the oil in air filter getting onto the hotwire in the airflow sensor, causing it to give false readings to the ecu ( ie making it run very lean.) I had heard storys of this happening before, but never thought that it would happen to me, as I only put them on the night before I travelled down. Thankfully no damage was done and it now produces a safe 320-340bhp. I also have a car that feels so much more refined, without the hesitating @3000 rpm. plus it also has the bonus of running on 95 octane or switching onto 98 & its got antilag.
Even running on 95, it feels faster than before. But fill it up with 98,run it for few miles,then flick the switch onto 98 and.
The cost of buying the ecu,Steve fitting & mapping it was around £1700 inc the deadly VAT. Money well spent considering that you can actualy go out and drive the car fast and not have to worry about it going pop.
I hope that this helps you out & you have as much enjoyment out of your transformed sti as I have had out of mine.